CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
New member purchased a First Responder family year in advance and wants to cancel on the 2nd week

New box owner and wanted to find out if anyone has dealt with a member joining paying a year in advance and wanting to cancel after 2 weeks.

Story first responder husband and wife. Husband is relocating 100 miles away and the wife can't seem to find child care.

They got the discount for family, first responder and paid full during our promotion.

What do I do?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: New member purchased a First Responder family year in advance and wants to cancel on the 2nd week

Its a tough one that but if you have a policy in place they sign from the start specifying the cancelation rules and fee then that would have been great. (you might want to add that.

For example - no matter what happens they must pay 2/3 months from the day they wish to cancel the membership. This will give you 4/6 months fee (2/3 from each of them). Looking at the fact that they have worked out 2 weeks which comes at a cost, you have other admin costs related to them so you need to get your money for that.

Now the thing is that you need to charge them the full rate as if they were monthly members, as i take it a yearly membership gives them a cheaper monthly rate becuase they pay up front.

Question is - would you be happy with that and would they be happy. So if they talk to others they will still give that positive feedback to others.

Would/could this bring a bad vibe to your box in the way you treat them?

In the end your running a business and you need to have a clear policy on things otherwise people will try and get away with anything.

This is not a come and test my box and get the flavour of it, but when i don't want to be a part of it anymore i want my money back. Yes i know he is relocating but still.

tough one Vic buts that my 2 on the matter

I would ask Scott on this one, he has seen it all over the years.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: New member purchased a First Responder family year in advance and wants to cancel on the 2nd week

Alex thank you for the reply.

Happy Veterans Day!!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Don't be an a$$. Refund. Relocating seems valid reason.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Get proof of relocation. Not an unresonabe request.

S
Old 11-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

refunded the money. Changed the policy on our website No Refunds.. lesson learned. We had a person sign up the save day and paid the year in advance almost the same price. Ying and Yang...
Old 11-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

Good Idea with the policy Vic.

Make sure new members read and understand the policy.... tell them too in a nice way... " please note there are no refunds"

And good luck