CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #81
Eric Neri

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie Lindbeck View Post
Eric, your site looks awesome, nice work!
Iím having the same issues with our affiliate site, a very basic wordpress theme that isnít exactly what we are after.... so close to bailing and paying someone to do it to look more professional and eye catching. As much as I would rather learn, and do it myself.

It may not be as easy to explain but how did you get the red bar showing your date (similar to your logo) and also the text on the side in the grey? At the moment we are limited on fonts / colours, is there a way to have more options? Or is it all in the theme you created.

Also, it has been driving me batty; I am trying to get an events calendar up on our site. I have put the calendar widget on there and have tried countless times to upload the "events Widget" plugin to be able to put up coming events on the calendar. Iím using Filezila, with very little knowledge, I have uploaded a plugin the same way before and it worked, it all looks the same but nothing is happing I donít know what i'm missing. Any tips / hints would be great!

Cheers

Jeff, good luck with the affiliate. Exciting times ahead!

Thanks Kylie, I'm so glad you like it. Yes, the dates and the headings in sidebar were both part of the theme. In the CSS file of the theme (style.css), I set the font color for the date to white and set a background image that was taken from our logo. The headings in sidebar that you see are actually image files that I created and set to replace the actual text of the headings (which is just plain text). Unfortunately, when dealing with web design in general, your font choices are small because you don't know what fonts everyone will have on their computer. In the end, your only real choices are serif and sans-serif and these can look slightly different on different computers depending on which serif and sans-serif fonts are installed. If you have something more particular in mind, like I did, you have to use image replacement techniques within the CSS to use an image of text.

The styling of a Wordpress theme (or that of other blogging software) is written in CSS (which makes styling changes to HTML) so you either have to go with a theme that has been prewritten for you, have someone write one for you, or learn how to do it yourself. There really is not other way to do it unfortunately.

I'm not really familiar with widgets, having never used them. However, I have had problems getting plugins to work in the past. After hours of banging my head on the wall, I came up with two solutions that I now use for all plugins. The first solution is to try changing the permissions on the plugin files. I haven't used filezila, but on my FTP client when I look at the file I can right-click and choose "Get Info". Then it shows the permissions, which is a three-digit number. Often this is set too high by default (often it's set to 755 or 777) and, in my limited understanding, because of the way the server works it won't let wordpress access it. Often, changing the permissions of all the files of the plugin to 644 does the trick (It took me about two weeks of scouring the internet until I came across that fix). Note that just changing a folder's permissions does not change the permissions of all files within it.

The other fix, which I use if the first one fails, is to ditch the plugin and try to find another that does the same thing.

Good luck - I know how crazy it can drive you.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #82
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Hey guys, having several issues with my sitePLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE. that I could use some help with.

After monster frustrations with GoDaddy, I switched (with the help of Ezekiel Martinez at CF Coastal - thanks Zeke) to A Small Orange. Things are running much smoother now. However, there are two issues with this:

1) Can't upload pictures. I can link to a photo on the web and have it show up on my site, but I can't upload any to the site. When I try I get "Unable to create directory /home/brian/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2008/10. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

2) Header is pixelated. I understand that having a large header will slow my site down, but I think this just looks bad. I also don't have a header that is larger than the one shown. Any suggestions on how I can change my header somehow (to anything) so that it's not pixelated?

3) Updating to 2.6.2. I am scared to death to even try to upload because I am getting a whole litany of errors when I do the http permissions check with my Instant Upgrade Widget:

HTTP permissions check
HTTP permissions check failed.
Not all required files/directories are writable.

On most servers, your WordPress files are not writable by the webserver by default. In that case, it is strongly recommended that you use the FTP method, if you have FTP access to your WordPress installation. If you don't want to use the FTP method for whatever reason, you must make the a number of files and directories writable by the webserver.

Error: InstantUpgrade's working directory is not writable by the webserver.
Error: The base directory of your WordPress installation is not writable by the webserver.
Error: One or more of your WordPress files are not writable by the webserver.
Hide details ę

Checking if work directory is writable …
The work directory wp-content/plugins/instantupgrade/work/ is not writable by the webserver. This upgrade procedure requires write access to this folder. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777.
Checking if WordPress root is writable …
The WordPress root directory /home/brian/public_html/ is not writable by the webserver. This upgrade procedure requires write access to this directory. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777. (If this is your DocumentRoot directory and you cannot change its permissions, you might try asking your hoster to do so; elsewise you're out of luck, sorry.)
Checking if WordPress files are writable …
The files listed below are not writable by the webserver. If you want InstantUpgrade to handle upgrades automatically, every single of them must be writable. You should set the file permissions mode to 0777. As for directories and their content, you may select the highest level directory (e.g. wp-admin/ and/or wp-includes/) and apply the change to all subfolders. This way, you don't need to change every single file manually.

Any suggestions on that one? I think this has something to do with switching to A Small Orange.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #83
Brian Wilson

Profile:

I got most of these fixed by a guy at my box, so belay my last. I could not begin to describe how he did it though, all black magic and voodoo to me.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #84
Kristopher Germain

Profile:

ok. i have spent the last few days completely defeated. i haven't posted sooner because i was sure that it was impossible for me not to accidentally figure out at least a couple things. wrong.

i can't get even one thing to work on my website. i've been reading all day long and trying things but literally the only success i had was changing the color of the header on the default theme, and my cat had to show me how to do it.

enjoy: www.krisfit.comPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

i had a very simple plan. i downloaded wordpress, found a theme that i liked, got it to upload and applied the theme (options theme with Shadow child theme), but absolutely nothing worked right. i could not figure out how to get a new header for starters. after spending two days trying, i thought i would just apply the default theme and try to learn some things, but even the default theme does not appear the way it's supposed to.

i have never seen a sidebar that everyone says is supposed to be in the kubrik theme. consequently, i can't even go through the simplest tutorial.

i am astounded at how much i don't know, and how much you need to know. i have no desire to go to the WP support (as beginners are not very welcome and dismissed quickly).

can anyone point me in the direction of how i should go about learning to be even somewhat competent with WP?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-31-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #85
Kristopher Germain

Profile:

i have no idea why, but that sidebar was never visible from my computer or my wife's (using a different browser). so i uninstalled WP and reinstalled it using simple scripts (the first time i used Fantastico).

magic. there's that sidebar. page looks like the template example finally.

i will now proceed to go through every tutorial i can find.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #86
Bryant Swenson

Profile:

I'm currently on the verge of developing my site using Wordpress. However, as I read this thread I hear people saying it's incredibly easy while others are really struggling. I'm pretty good with computers, but know very little about web design. Is this the right application for me?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #87
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Swenson View Post
I'm currently on the verge of developing my site using Wordpress. However, as I read this thread I hear people saying it's incredibly easy while others are really struggling. I'm pretty good with computers, but know very little about web design. Is this the right application for me?
I'll tell you one thing that helped me (butI had already decided to do Wordpress and had somebody set it up for me) was getting my personal training blog over to Wordpress: Brian PCFPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE..

This allowed me to play with a lot of stuff and learn new tools and how to use basic and advanced tools w/o fear of turning potential clients off or having a big "Oh Eff!" moment and having a down or messed up website.

You can start a Wordpress blog for free by going to Wordpress.org. It will have a .wordpress.com in the address, but that's no big deal if it's just something you are messing around with. Play with that for a while and see if you like how it handles.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-31-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #88
Bryant Swenson

Profile:

That's a great idea Brian. Your suggestion is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll try it out and be back with questions I'm sure.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #89
Adam Kayce

Profile:

I'm a webdesigner who does everything in WordPress now, having used other platforms before and found them lacking. So yes, I'd give a big to WordPress, and yes, I'd definitely recommend it for CF sites.

I just found this thread, so I'll watch it more and be happy to help where I can.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #90
Jeff Edwards

Profile:

I'm starting to love wordpress. We were at odds for a while, but things are finally coming together. It's getting easier to change things, and posting and creating new pages is very easy. I've made some major changes and would like to see what you all think.
ForgedFit.com