CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Jeff Wendt

Profile:
Should I scale down?

I have been working on starting some of the WODs over the last week or two, and I went to a week of open house classes one of the local Crossfit facility's had. I was the slowest one each day. I try to make sure I have been concentrating every rep on keeping form as best I can.

I am starting to wonder about trying to do them as RXed and taking a really long time with multiple breaks, or working on scaling them and working on trying to stay moving more consistently.

For example, the first one I did was the 150 burpees one, and it took me like 45 minutes. I started with 20, then struggled to do 10 at a time after resting up.

I tried out Barbara today (5 rounds of 20 Pullups, 30 push ups, 40 sit ups, 50 squats) and while I started being able to do about half of the reps at once, each round found me becoming weaker and weaker. At the end, I was getting about 5 reps at a time. I do try to finish them all as RXed, though I quit a little early on a couple of the facility ones due to everyone else being done.

So I guess I wanted to see if I should concentrate on doing them as RXed and be damned that it takes me two or three times as long as the slowest people posting, or should I try to scale down and not have as many recoup breaks. I looked through a few pages of posts, but really didn't see much.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Bob Sorensen

Profile:
Re: Should I scale down?

YES! the answer to all newcomers is yes you should scale. But hey, I've scaled way way back, and after 3 weeks i'm still enjoying it. Give it time to build. The issue isn't doing it " as rx'd" now, it's staying with it for months and still doing it, as opposed to burningout or feeling disgusted and quitting.

Go get 'em, slowly!

Bob
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Stephane Hachey

Profile:

Personally I'm going with the scaled down versions. Don't want to injure myself and have to stop. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Jeff,

You can approach the WOD's either way. For the met-con intensives like Barbara, I suspect you might be better off scaling, either by reducing reps or rounds. For the WOD's involving weights (which will become progressively more met-con intensive as your fitness improves), you could either scale the weight or reps, or just grind through at the rx'd weights to develop the requisite strength. I think the latter approach will result in faster gains, assuming you can at least knock out a few reps at a time at the rx'd weight. I think this would be a good complement to higher intensity, body-weight WOD's.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Jeff,

In my 4 months of doing CrossFit, I've learned the most important way to start is by focusing on technique. Even fairly simple movements like burpees can become dangerous if you push yourself to a point where technique starts to fail. I learned this firsthand when I did Elizabeth for the first time. I used too much weight on the clean and tweaked my back pretty badly. That said, I would advise you to scale down the weight/reps/intensity when it comes to single exercises or full workouts you've never performed and focus predominantly on form. Once you begin to know your CrossFit limits, start to kick it up a notch.

FYI: Brand X Fitness has scaled workouts for the WOD's in case you were interested.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I agree. Scale down, especially with the metcons like Barbara. It is better to build up to the WODs as rx'ed rather than get hurt, or worse. Read the posts about overdoing it. There are important and informative threads about this.