CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Brandon Roth

Profile:
To Scale or Not to Scale?

I currently weigh 155# and if I try to do the WOD's as Rx'd, the weight becomes too heavy to sustain a good metcon pace.

I'm wondering if I should keep doing the WOD's as Rx'd and just let my strength build up until I'm able to do the workouts at a good speed (I'm essentially doing what others would consider a "Heavy Fran" for example if I use the Rx weight.)

or

Scale the weight down now and receive the conditioning benefits sooner rather than later. But, if I do it this way, will my strength not build up to be able to handle the Rx weight?

My ultimate goal is to be able to do all of WOD's at the weights Rx'd and still receive the great metcon benefits.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: To Scale or Not to Scale?

Scale down the weight so you are able to do the WOD in a reasonable amount of time. The key is to keep increasing the weight by small amounts until you reach the weight thats required (is that what Rx'd means?). Im in the same boat you are and i too want to be able to do the WODs as its recommended. We will eventually get to the point where we can do the WODs as recommended at a good pace
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Build your strength using the low rep high weight workouts, scale the weight on the metcon workouts. The combination will allow you to gradually build both strength and stamina. Isolating one or the other can be faster, but you can make good progress in both concurrently with switching up the workouts.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Sam Marusich

Profile:

I'm pretty new to CF and I do scale. However, I do work on increasing my loads slowly until the time comes when I'll be doing them at Rx'd loads.

If memory serves correct, there are a few CFJ article about this, though I'd have to go looking to find them.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'm on the really bad end of the spectrum for using rx'd weights. I'm 115 lbs and I would not even be able to front squat 95 lbs as many times as Fran requires. I'm just focusing on taking the weights up from a scaled amount little by little. First time I did Fran, I used 60 lbs. Next time, I accidentally used five pounds more than I intended. Next time, I aim to use 70-75 lbs and still increase my time. The 24 KB is prescribed for men. I use it and am almost full range on my swings.

Increments. Little by little. Remember Roger's advice. Look up ME Black Box if you want more strength quickly.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Brett Sammis

Profile:

A good recommendation I've heard (and adhere to) is that you scale the weight to a level that allows you to complete the w/o in a time that puts you around the middle of the pack based on times posted in the comments.

bts
Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

People go both ways. It might behoove you to decide whether strength now or metcon now is your priority.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Do a search on the Boards here. There are a couple of very long, in-depth threads on this topic that were very active the last couple of months.

Briefly, when confronted with a WOD that is heavy for me "as Rx'd" I make a concious decision whether I will go for a met-con benefite (scale) or the strength-endurance benefit (don't scale or scale less). Those of us who are "under-strong" will benefit from this strategy.

Good luck.