CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit Mainpage dead?

Roughly 80% of my clients follow the main page WODs, including the rest days; in fact, we don't allow anyone to go hard for more than three straight days. When the main page posts a rest day, we ar still open but use it as a make-up/skill/rest day.

The other 20% of our clients are following more specialized routines. If you're interested in seeing the results, check our page at www.crossfitnasti.wordpress.com (wfs) - I assure you that we have some legit athletes/performers.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

"Do any legitimate athletes still follow the mainpage?"

I'm going with yes. Example: Mikko Salo, 2009 CF Games champion. He says in this video that he has followed mainsite religiously for 2 years:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...rogramming.wmv (WFS)

HOWEVER, he also does additional strength work AND interval stuff as described in this description: http://games2009.crossfit.com/compet...-training.html (WFS).

I'm in awe of his recovery ability to be able to do mainsite, AND strength work, AND interval stuff.

It's still a great collection of workouts that more affiliates should follow and a great portal for anyone who's getting into it on their own.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Do any legitimate athletes still follow the mainpage?
Define "legitimate athlete" and maybe we can answer.

Quote:
Do Glassman's or anyone maintain those WOD's or is it automated now to the point they are just recycling WOD's from 2007?
I can't speak for HQ, but there have been brand new WODs within the last month.

Quote:
Why do all questions and comments on the forum seem to be regarding some other form of Crossfit (i.e. CFSB, CFFB, etc.), Starting Strength, or O'Lifting?
They're not. There are plenty of posts about the mainpage WOD. Also, because the mainpage is extensively documented, people can (and often should) get their questions answered without posting.

Quote:
Why have I never seen an affiliate gym that follows Mainpage WOD's?
Because you've never been to mine? We follow the mainpage about a week behind, and at least one of the other local affiliates follows it about a cycle behind.

Katherine
Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I've followed mainpage for about 5 months and intend on going back to it after I finish my SS cycle. I am trying to get ready for the games and my absolute strength needs work. I like the mainpage. It's quick and straight forward and suits me just fine. When you can do it RX'd in he right time domain I am sure you will be a "legit" athlete.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
Jason Khalipa used mainpage until he started training for the games.
Interesting. Do you know Jason personally?

I like the answer that the CF.com WOD is a starting point. I do the WODs because they are fun to compete with other people on, and it builds my sense of the CF community. It also forces me to be broad, general, and inclusive in all domains. Basically a reliable way to keep me in check.

However, I've had shoulder surgeries this year and cannot do all of the WODs the way they are written yet. And WODs such as the one that came up for tomorrow (11/14/09, L-pull-ups and Push Jerks) force me to think intelligently and pick something else that I can handle, because my arms will be wrecked from "Eva" the day before. So I guess I'm not a main site purist.

Good discussion!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Define "legitimate athlete" and maybe we can answer.
he defined it pretty preciously, legitimate athlete = a badass
Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm Blancaflor View Post
Interesting. Do you know Jason personally?

haha i wish, nah the dude is my idol

i saw it on his training interview post on the games site.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
he defined it pretty preciously, legitimate athlete = a badass
Yeah, I saw that after I posted... In my experience badassness has as much to do with attitude as training. The superstrong powerlifter guys at my gym think I'm a badass because I have a black belt, even though they could probably break me in half (if they got a good grip).

But to answer the question, I know "legitimate athletes" who follow the mainpage, and I know equally legit athletes who've never heard of Crossfit.

Katherine
Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #19
Brandon Couden

Profile:

i love the mainsite wods never been in better shape than when i was competing against the mainsite. i started getting top 5 on several wods and it lit a fire under my ***. I got injured and didnt feel i could follow the main site wods effectively. I am getting back on them to get ready for the sectional qualifiers next week.
when u do the main site and post, which i do to beyondthewhiteboard it's like doing a benchmark wod everyday even when ive never seen the wod. I push alot harder when i know I'll be doing the same wod and competing against 1000+ all over the world and it's programed great when you dont pick and choose wods and do them rx'd! when the main site wods are cherry picked and scaled ineffectively they won't work well and that what 90% of ht problem is with most people, they don"t do the wods day by day legit and bs themselves.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #20
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

The main page is not "recycling." There have been brand new WODs, as well as throwbacks from '02 and '03.

Many athletes follow .COM exclusively. Deviation (more than 1 WOD/day, etc) is usually due to upcoming competition.

We can go all day about how somebody did or didn't gain mass using CrossFit. It doesn't matter if Greg A. or Jason got bigger or smaller when starting .COM WOD's - they both got Fitter.

Most affiliates do not follow .COM exclusively because it doesn't lend itself well to Group Classes. GHD Sit-Ups with 20 people is difficult. Even at the original CrossFit Santa Cruz, Glassman did not necessarily coach his Group Classes through the WODs he put on the net that day - cargo net, pommel horse, etc allowed for far more variety than the typical garage .COM publishes for.