CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #21
Jim Brikman

Profile:
Re: Who does everything RX'ed daily?

I do virtually all the workouts as Rx'd. The only exceptions are (1) workouts that include the snatch, as I'm still learning the lift and (2) when I need to make substitutions due to lack of equipment. To fit CF into my schedule, I do a 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off schedule - that is, 5 days of CF a week, with Monday and Friday as rest days. I mostly follow the mainpage WoD, but I modify at least one workout a week to include more heavy lifting. For example, a workout like "deadlift 3-3-3-3-3", "squat 5-5-5-5-5", "Weighted pull-up 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1" or "Crossfit Total" comes up just about every week and I usually it to be more of a Starting Strength style workout. For example, I'd change the "deadlift 3-3-3-3-3" workout to back squat 3x5, bench press 3x5, and deadlift 5x3. The "squat 5-5-5-5-5" workout might become squat 5x5, OH press 3x5, power clean 5x3. In other words, I'm basically just doing extra exercises any time a purely strength based workout comes up.

I also lag behind the mainsite schedule some ~2 months behind. This is primarily because I distribute the workouts between a gym at my workplace (which has a nice barbell + bumper plates), a gym near my house (which has pull-up bars, dip bars, treadmills and a back extension machine) and a track near my house. Lagging so far behind lets me arrange these workouts in a way that works with my schedule. For example, I always put workouts with olympic style lifts on a weekday as that's the only time I have access to bumper plates. On the other hand, any type of running typically goes on a weekend so I can use the track near my house.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #22
Chris Toomer

Profile:

i try to follow the main page as rx'd, usually a day or two behind, to allow for inconsistent internet access and the preference of knowing what's coming next.

i can do at best 2/3 of the wods more or less as rx'd but often have to make fairly equivalent subs due to the lack of rings and ropes at my gym.

the other third i either have to scale weight (joshua = deadlift 250# 75 times?!) or sub in a less-than-ideal manner because i have yet to master the move (esp. muscle ups).

i hope to be able to follow all the main page wods by the end of 2009...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
Ryan Turk

Profile:

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I've been doing CF for about 10 days. I'm 5'6" and 216lbs and not in very good shape. I am building up to the WODs by using "the Ladder" http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/...reArticleTitle.

My workout is as follows:

M,W,F: In ten days I have advance from rung 1 (3 squats, 2 pushups, and 1 pullup--using an elastic band) to rung 2 (6 squats --using 25lbs of weights--, 4 pushups, and 2 pullups w/bands). This morning I did 17 rounds in 20 minutes. I am amazed at how fast I am gaining strength and confidence in my form. I warm up with a 20' stationary bike ride.

T,Th, S: I alternate cycling, jogging, and jumping rope with a ten minute warm-up, followed by intervals 1min on/3min off.

My goal is to advance through the rungs on the ladder as quickly as possible then transition to the Brand X WODs and 3-1 schedule.

I devised this workout in an attempt to keep it simple and to give me time to learn the exercises, lifts, terminology, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Ryan Turk

Profile:

I've been doing CF for about 10 days. I'm 5'6" and 216lbs and not in very good shape. I am building up to the WODs by using "the Ladder" http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/...reArticleTitle.

M,W,F: In ten days I have advance from rung 1 (3 squats, 2 pushups, and 1 pullup--using an elastic band) to rung 2 (6 squats --using 25lbs of weights--, 4 pushups, and 2 pullups w/bands). This morning I did 17 rounds in 20 minutes. I am amazed at how fast I am gaining strength and confidence in my form. I warm up with a 20' stationary bike ride.

T,Th, S: I alternate cycling, jogging, and jumping rope with a ten minute warm-up, followed by intervals 1min on/3min off.

My goal is to advance through the rungs on the ladder as quickly as possible then transition to the Brand X WODs and 3-1 schedule.

I devised this workout in an attempt to keep it simple and to give me time to learn the exercises, lifts, terminology, etc.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:

Hi Jonathan,

I do as much as I can as Rx'ed. I supplement with CFE WODs. Sometimes I scale the CF.com WOD up if the weights are too light, but most of the time it's as Rx'ed.

So you're in Algona. That's near Rainier CF. Where do you train? Morgan at CF Tacoma is a great coach too.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Turk View Post

Thanks
It takes a while to build up to 3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off. Just stick with it. 'As quickly as possible' could mean months.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #27
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

I do everything I can as Rx'd.......I dont normally scale anything, mainly because I'm a stubborn idiot. I've been doing that since I started CF'ing about 5 months ago. However I was already in pretty decent shape, not that has made this any easier.

I workout out at a globo gym for now, so there are some things I can't do as rx'd because of lack of equipment (like rings, etc). But for me, Rx'd is the way to roll.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #28
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm Blancaflor View Post
So you're in Algona. That's near Rainier CF. Where do you train? Morgan at CF Tacoma is a great coach too.
Currently, in the "dungeon" (aka my downstairs multipurpose room converted to a gym.)

I was doing alot of scaled down & equipment modified WODs at first (e.g. dumbells instead of kb's or barbell), trying to follow the 5/2 cycle to compliment my ultrarunning (I don't follow CFE due to not seeing enough things eye-to-eye with BMack on training methods). It was going okay until injuries (non-CF related) sidelined me hard and now I have to restart from scratch since I wasn't CF'ing long enough (about a month of CF'ing, but a 2-3 month rehabing).

I have tenative plans to visit either the Rainier CF location or Level 4 in Seattle, depending on what free time I have away from the house.

Last edited by Jonathan Yoon : 01-12-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #29
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
I had a notion of hitting the CA WOD come spring, but now that I've signed up for the Games qualifiers, that seems like it might be bad timing.
Having just finished up the CA WODs about 6 weeks ago, I agree that it would be poor timing to start. I made ALOT of progress on the O-lifts [i.e.: from 130-lbs power snatch ONLY to 185 (bodyweight) full squat snatch], but my MetCon ability REALLY suffered. I'm struggling to get back in shape so that I'll be competitive at my qualifiers as well. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have traded Greg's Everett's programming for the world - it worked miracles for me - but it takes awhile to recover from the 4 months of minimal MetCon work.

- Alex