CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #51
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Handstand challenge

Today I spent time kicking into headstands, getting better at that; then pushing down with my hands to lessen the stress on my neck and see if I could lift myself up. It was hard. I think I got a long ways to go before I can do a true HSPU.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #52
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can jump or kick into headstands but it might cause your probability to fall over higher. Too much momentum. It's better to lift/press into the headstand by dragging your toes/feet off the floor.

In a tripod headstand, though your arms are bent, you are still actively pushing against the floor just like in a handstand. Same thing goes with shoulderstand on rings or if you do a rings type shoulderstand on parallettes.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #53
Casey Raiford

Profile:

That's some pretty good advice.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #54
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

So....engage the core muscles and lift? That does make more sense than me thinking about what happens if I smash into the wall and failing to get off the ground.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #55
Steven Crawford

Profile:

I read this thread earlier today & it inspired me to do some handstands when I got home! There's some really good stuff in this thread - I especially really like the advice about practicing forward rolls more, I think that was Blair, but I can't find exactly where I read it earlier, thanks whoever it was!

Whenever I felt like I was getting a bit hesitant about kicking up and subsequently failing, I'd practice forward rolls some more, it really worked!!! My best was probably about 4-5 seconds freestanding, and thats a huge PR ! Still a way to go before my first HSPU but I feel like I'm really on my way now.

Thanks again everyone in this thread
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #56
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I've gotten decent at the forward roll as well. I was able to freestand for about 1 second today. I'm on the cusp of finally getting this stuff.

On a weird note, one of my coworkers who has started crossfitting with me a month ago while we're deployed has already got his handstand pushup. He kicked up on the wall and was able to do two in a row even. We started working them about two weeks ago and he couldn't even get on the wall then. I was excited for him but also a little pi$$ed, since he quickly passed me up in that area. I still don't have the pushup
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #57
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:

Ben, I just noticed this thread. Are you in town on Christmas week? I will be up there in time to witness your first HSPU! Or maybe your 100th or 200th. I'm proud to see you're progressing. You really did take my advice to heart!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #58
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Actually,

Herm, you were my inspiration. With that little bit of coaching and advice, I found that I needed to just buckle down and practice and do it. So far it's paid off!

I won't be in town unfortunately, I'm out of the country till March. Deployed to Turkey and Kuwait. Otherwise I'd take you up on it for sure!!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #59
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think somebody else reccomended forward rolls other than me. However, in a gymnastics setting, forward roll is probably one of the first 5 skills you learn, especially after 5. Backward safety fall ( candlestick, which the up part is the 2nd half of the forward roll ) is probably the first with forward roll being before HeS and maybe after Lunge to 3/4 HS.

Credit goes to Kirez Reynolds, #36.

If you are practising Headstand, back to wall; get the back of your head to be placed on the ground where the floor and wall meet. Place your hands in front of the wall 3-6" (?). Now, from either standing in a straddle or legs together like downward dog; slowly push your back into the wall inch by inch. Then drag your feet from pike and tuck inwards towards your stomach till the rest of your back and butt touch the wall. Or from a straddle pull the knees slowly up and place them on your elbows for tripod headstand or pull them up and out sliding against the wall to headstand.

You can also do headstand against the wall starting with your back to the wall, hands a few inches away from the wall and head a few inches in front of that ( it should make a triangular base ). Then walk up the wall until you are the headstand position. You don't have to be completely vertical doing it this way, but coming out of it is a little different than just dropping the legs down to a kneeling sit as you have to step out to the side or roll as walking down get's cramped.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #60
Allison Weiler

Profile:

Have you guys heard of doing handstand push-ups away from the wall with someone spotting you by holding your ankles to help you maintain balance?

Obviously you need a partner...but that's how they teach kids to do handstands and balance, so I thought it might help and was thinking of trying that.