CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Harry Mott

Profile:
Special Forces

Hello, first off let me ask that no one jumps on me proclaiming that i said i could join or pass any of the special forces tests. Those men are human and im only 15 so it is not so unrealistic. With that said, i was just wondering if it is possible to join two different branches of the U.s. military in your lifetime. For example, if you were a pararescueman for 4 years, could you then join SEALs. Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: Special Forces

Sure thing, I know more than a few who have done it. You join one branch, go through whatever basic training is required, then at some point apply apply to and screen for whatever SOF units/orgs are avaiable. CCT, PJs, Force Recon, team guy, boat guy, Ranger, ODA...whatever. You go through the applicable selection course and enter that community.

You then separate from that service at the end of your enlistment, then enlist in another and go through the whole laborious process all over again.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Harry Mott

Profile:

Thanks a lot, finally a truthful answer. Have you ever had any experience, or encounters with the pj's or seals?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Steven Pagoaga

Profile:

Also, alot of the "special" units cross train. I went to Ranger with a guy from the Air Force. The more cross training they get the better they can perform...with that in mind it is not weird they choose to do CrossFit?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Like Casey said lateral service transfers can be done, in fact most things in the military can be done if you know the right form to fill out. Transitioning to SEALs is common for Marines because I believe lateral service transfers for them do not require them to attend Navy boot camp.

However if you plan on being an Officer it will most likely be impossible for a lateral service transfer from one special operations community to another.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Frank Tardi

Profile:

SOCOM is basically their own separate branch of the military. There was talk about actually making it their own branch in order to make the transition from going easier. its pretty bad ***, im attempting CCT after im done with college. so if thats what yer lookin to do, best of luck to you man!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Jake Dent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Shamloo View Post
Like Casey said lateral service transfers can be done, in fact most things in the military can be done if you know the right form to fill out. Transitioning to SEALs is common for Marines because I believe lateral service transfers for them do not require them to attend Navy boot camp.

However if you plan on being an Officer it will most likely be impossible for a lateral service transfer from one special operations community to another.
Marines can transfer into any of the other services (with some restrictions) without attending their bootcamp.
Even officers could get out of one service join another and attempt to qualify for special forces or whatever they want.