CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Walt Thompson, PhD, a professor of kinesiology and health at Georgia State University in Atlanta;

"This kind of workout is for a very, very small subset of the population," he says. "The person who could probably benefit from the Gym Jones workout is the person who already has a long and extensive 'career' in exercise. It's not for a beginner."

It amazes me the lab-coat exercise physiologists want to continue to dumb-down fitness and thus consequent results. The response by the 'experts' in the academic field regarding CrossFit training ala 300 Workout and Spartan training has been a classic example of researchers spending too much time in the lab and not enough time in the trenches training real people. It insults me that they think the general population can't handle this training. We crave challenges, we thrive in this environment...

I finally had enough...my crew did a version of the 300 workout today. In this video we have members who have been CrossFittin' for 1 day to 7 weeks; we're a work in progress...

I stated today on our blog;
Intense physical training reveals your inner strength and tests your mettle. Having the guts to walk through the CrossFit door on a consistent basis will make a profound impact on your life.

link is w/f/safe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1d_25jSA-c

Strength and honor,
Jerry
Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Russell Greene

Profile:
Some people don't understand scalability.

Good work Jerry. I would like to work out at your gym one day.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jerry - you are so right. It is almost as if the testing of boundaries...not the discovery of those boundaries just probing for them...is somehow harmful to the psyche. I sense that those in positions of white lab coated self percieved authority think that when a thing is very difficult to achieve and when many fall short in the pursuit of that thing, that it is somehow incumbant upon them to be the salve on the collective self-esteem canker that they insist must be a by-product of one's lesser performance than another.

I find this appalling. 'This kind of thnking is for a very, very small subset of the population' for whom superior performance is an anomoly, some sort of abberation from the norm which is represented by the sameness of 3 sets of 8 reps of curls, leg extensions and the pec deck. We are that small subset and we are growing it to become the norm.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
Maybe we can get Dan MacDougal in on this, and invite the esteemed Dr.Thompson to actually try, or even witness a CrossFit session. If he is not familiar with the scalability, and someone plops the 300 workout in front of him, of course it seems extreme. Any one workout is far from a complete representation of what we do.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Just this guys way of making himself feel better for not being up for the challenge...sometimes it is easier to write something off than it is to just do it. Sadly, people have millions of excuses for NOT exercising and eat righting. This is just one.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Any one workout is far from a complete representation of what we do! Well said Tom!

Just this guys way of making himself feel better for not being up for the challenge. Well said Steve!

It needs to be understood that these are the same white-coats that Lon Kilgore mentioned in this month's journal, But, alas, there is a large contingent of exercise scientists and physicians who believe that one work set of an exercise is enough to achieve maximal results. If they do decide to use multiple sets, many researchers think that three sets of ten will produce the same results as ten sets of three—and they will use the same weight for both organizations, a weight described as “low to moderate intensity.

Jerry, That was a fantastic video!!

(Message edited by joeinvegas on April 12, 2007)
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
John Bickel

Profile:
Let's remember how academia works at public universities. To become a professor and get tenure, one must be published in the "proper" journals. Radical departures from the accepted theory usually do not get published.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Got a link to that quote? I'd like to see it in context before commenting.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Hey Garry,
You're right; I pulled what I wanted out of the article and literally taped it on the whiteboard as fuel for my troops…my bad…but that’s what game-day coaches do right?
:msn-wink:
w/f/s link to article
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-300-workout-can-you-handle-it ?page=1

I should have pulled one out from Dr. Wayne Westcott or Bill Phillips instead:
"There's no way you can change your basic physique," he says. "You do the best you can with what you've got." Though they might not wind up looking like Spartans, Westcott says, people can achieve up to a 50% increase in muscle strength in the first three months of a proper strength-training program.As for the "300 workout" itself, Westcott says, it isn't practical for the average person.

Though he's glad the movie has inspired people to get fit, Bill Phillips, author of the 12-week strength program book Body for Life, says he hopes they don't get hurt or discouraged in the process. He says that by incorporating reasonable bodybuilding routines — 45 minutes of strength training, three days a week — people can see a change.

w/f/s link to another article

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-workout_N.htm
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
David Stegman

Profile:
I never really did much in the way of exercise before I started Crossfit about 15 months ago. I trained in brazilian jiu jitsu and karate before that but that was my only source of "staying in shape" so I would say I was on the "average" scale.

I'm here to say...like the rest of you....that my physique has changed drastically. I look just like a lot of the guys in 300 and of course this took place well before the movie came out. I think pretty much anyone can do it and get great results if they discipline themselves enough....especially with diet.