CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Luke Magilke

Profile:
DIY Crossfit

originally posted this in the "running a cf faciltiy" thread.......... probably not the best spot since most of those guys are diehard affilliate owners. anyways, kind of reviving an earlier post since ive been hearing some recent chatter on the topic. how many of yall would join a gym (crossfit or not) that was 60.00- 80.00/mo unlimited? no classes, no instruction. basically a globo gym concept set up like a crossfit gym. thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: DIY Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Magilke View Post
originally posted this in the "running a cf faciltiy" thread.......... probably not the best spot since most of those guys are diehard affilliate owners. anyways, kind of reviving an earlier post since ive been hearing some recent chatter on the topic. how many of yall would join a gym (crossfit or not) that was 60.00- 80.00/mo unlimited? no classes, no instruction. basically a globo gym concept set up like a crossfit gym. thanks
In Houston? You got my money depending on what side of town it's on!!

This will be very appealing to people that want to o-lift, and don't have a place to have equipment/space.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 01-23-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Wes Palmer

Profile:

I would, I have been a garage crossfit guy for several years. Classes dont appeal to me but an open gym would
Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Evan Phillips

Profile:

I travel often and can never find a gym that will just let me use their equipment for $$. I would join.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I'd pay double that in Perth, Aus if it had the right setup and enough gear so that I wouldnt be waiting for others for it. It'd be very good value compared to what else in on offer in my city (aka nothing - every single gym here is hopeless). If I had the funds I'd open something just like that.

But how do you handle liability insurance?
How do you handle wear and tear on equipment, especially if people aren't being instructed on proper form?
If you aren't always around to instruct, how do you control who comes in or out, and therefore control theft?
How do you enforce cleanliness of the floors and equipment?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Phil Griffin

Profile:

I think you'll get a skewed reply towards that being a good idea on this board, since it is the home of all us garage crossfitters who already work out alone. When I drop in at boxes when travelling, one of the most common comments I get (after telling people I do CF by myself in my basement) is "I can't imagine making myself do this alone!" The community at a box is very important for many crossfitters, there are not many people willing to put themselves through this type of workout all by themselves for more than a few weeks.

Another thing to consider is how popular open gym sessions are at existing boxes. I know I've dropped in to the open gym on Thursdays at CF Lincoln, which is a successful box, and there weren't many people there, despite the opportunity to work on skills with a CF games competitor. If you did it in a town with no CFer's it would be tough since people would compare it to the cost of a globo. If you did it in a town with a bunch of affiliates it would be tough because you'd be trying to pull people away from their community. I could be wrong, but you may have trouble getting insurance.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Starting out (and knowing what I know now)? No way. I knew little how to do basically ALMOST ANY of the lifts, and there is no way I would have learned without the instruction.

As an intermediate? I would still go with no. I'd rather pay $200/month, as long as there was some "free gym" time where I had access to do my own lifting and work on my own stuff. I'd miss the community aspect of it, and yes, I do need some pushing to work on my goats.

As an expert? Even though I'm not there, I would go with No Way again. I would sure as hell want a great coach who could train me.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Luke Magilke

Profile:

i too am a self taught garage cf'er who occassionly would go to the globo to use the rower. the target audience here is not the noob or the genpop weightlifter guy, but the exp cfer who doesnt need/want instruction or a class setting. like any globo gym, some guys know what they're doiing and some dont, we could pick each others brains when it came to technique or what not. im in a big city with a bunch of cf boxes so i would imagine several peeps jumping ship to save some money plus the guys that want a better garage gym if you will. i think a community feel could manifest in a gym like this, because everyone still follows cf but just differently.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

There are gyms already out there like that. They aren't huge and globogym sized. Sort of a rising niche.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Morgan Gossman

Profile:

That has been the main cause of my hesitation to join a box. All of them around me really only do classes. I think the classes could be fun but having to be there at a certain time doesn't really work well with my schedule. I wish there were more open gym types.