CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Glenn Welker

Profile:
Re: 42 year old, What is reasonable to expect?

Thanks for the suggestions. I only learned the front squat a month ago and have been trying to get more proficient. I am doing pretty good just letting it hang out on my shoulders. My hands are actually pushing it into my neck. I'm sure the squat weight will continue to go up as I am more comfortable with the lift. I have always been a hard gainer. It seems like if I really dig I can't move for two days, if I hang back then I get little out of it. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Good advice from these folks. Focus on strength. As for tall guy doing pullups - do them strict with your legs lifted. I cross my ankles behind me. Get full ROM that way. You'll definately get stronger. This will help your bench and pushups also. I'm 55, and have more pullups than I did at 25. As for the lifts? Age is an advantage. We're experienced, and know to give ourselves appropriate recovery time, and nutrition. Fish oil and hydration are the fountains of youth. Welcome!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Glenn, I've been doing cf for about 3 years. I still scale down a good share of the wods, but I've seen lots of improvments. Like you, I am also very interested in increasing my pullup and dip numbers. When I started, I couldn't do many pullups or dips. Now I'm up to 15 deadhangs and 16 ring dips. I don't use the kip. I just train both exercises twice per week. I would keep doing the assisted exercises until you can get some unassisted. Then find a pullup and dip program that you like and just stick with it. I've done a 3x5 strength program for the past year and it's also helped increase my bodyweight exercise numbers. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
Wes Palmer

Profile:

Negative pull ups will help a lot with increasing your pull up count, and lifting your lower legs is what I do on my bar as well. You can also do pull ups on rings, just hang them from a tree as high as you need them
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
Glenn Welker

Profile:

Thanks Wes, I will indeed try negatives. Pullups are one of the areas that I can actually see improvement. I haven't tried negatives and will try those in the near future. I also got my hands on the Starting Strength dvd which looks great as far as seeing correct technique for lifts.

I started on this journey after signing up for the Warrior Dash and reading Tim Ferriss book. I had never heard of CrossFit, but then again, I've never been an athlete. Last year was the first time I jogged more than 400m in my entire life. I completed 2 5k races with slow times, but I completed. Huge accomplishment for me.

I love the intensity of the WODS and will fill in some more specific strength training. Thanks for all of the support and great advice.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Gabe Storm

Profile:

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into any of the affiliates in your area? Good coaching really helps. I'm kind of like you in that I am a big dude that was never any kind of athlete. Honestly, the progress I've made the last 15 months would never have happened working out on my own.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Glenn Welker

Profile:

I have definitely looked into it.

I live in Columbus Ohio, home of Rogue Fitness, home of Mr. Graham Holmberg, Aka CrossFit Games 2010 Champion.

What else could I possibly need as motivation?

It all comes down to money. I've been a stay at home dad for a few years and that has really strapped us financially. It all comes down to money. Since I already belong to a gym I am trying to make the best of what I have right now.

Hopefully this fall we can reevaluate.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Gabe Storm

Profile:

Well, good for you then for motivating yourself and sticking to it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I started at 42 (M/5'11"/178). I had been a long time gym member, lifting but a "hard gainer" as you say. I have found running CrossFit programing with a strength bias very helpful.

Currently we are running Wendler's 5-3-1 in my affiliate with great results. Three days a week we do one of the four major lifts (bench, dead lift, shoulder press or back squat) then an AMRAP in the 12 min. range.

We go longer the other two days a week usually with a fair amount of running or rowing. Our metabolic fitness is maintained for experienced people and improving for new people and everyones strength is going up fast.

links:
http://manlypat.wordpress.com/2009/0...ll-up-program/

http://theswole.com/swole/531-jim-we...y-of-strength/

(We use the simple "Boring but big")

I would investigate building a taller pull-up bar at home if possible. Kipping pull-ups are fun.

Also look at your nutrition and rest. If you workout very hard but don't see progress then chances are one of these two areas are holding you back.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
Glenn Welker

Profile:

Brendan (and others), I am truly impressed how much people are willing to help. I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I have indeed thought of making a pullup bar at home once the weather warms up. I have already made a set of parallettes (a little beyond my strength currently) and have plans on making 1 or more plyo boxes. I just like making things, so it is a good fit.

Thanks again