CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Diet Critique - What am I doing wrong????

Stats:

Height - 5' 0''
Age - 20 yrs old
Workouts - LOG (this is a workout/food log) wfs
Weight - 135 - 137 lbs
Note1: - Wake up with a morning temperature of (averaged) 96.5F/35.8C
Note2: I'm currently on exchange in the Netherlands until the middle of January.
Note3: Trying to get down to a fighting weight of 115-120 lbs for my height. *Been 100% Paleo for the last 12 days. When I wasn't 100% paleo I drank wine occasionally and at 70% dark chocolate

1 week's worth of food:

Fasted 1030p-1p (14.5 hours)

1p: Coconut oil, 2 Eggs, Bacon, Spinach, Pecans, Tomato

5p : Apple, Sunbutter

8p : Chicken, Red bell pepper, Olive oil

10p : Berries, Coconut shreds, Coconut milk, Sunbutter

FitDay Breakdown

CAL 1,516
FAT 114.8 (65%)
CHO 71.8 (18%)
PRO 67.5 (17%)

12p : Coconut oil, 2 Eggs, Butternut squash, Pine nuts, 1 Piece bacon

5p : Shrimp, Coconut oil, Spinach, Walnuts

6p : Celery, Sunbutter

9p : Chicken, 1/2 Onion, Olive oil, Artichoke hearts, Spinach

1030p : Apple, Sunbutter, Coconut shreds

FitDay Breakdown:

CAL 1,462
FAT 96.5 (57%)
CHO 81.5 (21%)
PRO 84.5 (22%)

11a : 2 Eggs, Coconut oil, 3 pieces bacon, Butternut squash, Pecans

(insert 5 hour nap here)

5p : Macadamia nuts

630p : Fresh salmon, Mushrooms, Spinach, Olive oil

8p : 1 Apple

FitDay Breakdown

CAL 1,483
FAT 124.9 (72%)
CHO 61.2 (15%)
PRO 48.8 (13%)

11a : Coconut oil, 2 Eggs, Butternut squash, 2 Pieces bacon, 4 Macadamias

530p : Olive oil, Chicken, 1/2 onion, Spinach, 1 Red bell pepper

2a : 1 Apple, Almond butter, Coconut shreds, Macadamia nuts

FitDay Breakdown:

CAL 1,296
FAT 100.5 (66%)
CHO 60.6 (17%)
PRO 53.8 (16%)

Fasted 14.5 hours

4p : 1 Can salmon, Coconut oil, Pecans, Spinach

8p : Olive oil, Chicken, Mushrooms, Macadamias, Spinach, 1/2 Onion

930p : 1 Apple, Almond butter, Coconut shreds

FitDay Breakdown

CAL 1,180
FAT 87.8 (64%)
CHO 34.7 (11%)
PRO 72.4 (25%)

10a : Coconut oil, 2 Eggs, Butternut squash, 1 tlbspn sunbutter

230p : Olive Oil, Chicken, 1 Red bell pepper (+1/2 onion)

8p : ~3.5 oz shrimp, Olive oil, Broccoli, Tomato Sauce

10p : 1 apple, Almond butter

FitDay Breakdown

CAL 1,261
FAT 83.9 (58%)
CHO 67.6 (20%)
PRO 68.4 (22%)

830a: 2 Eggs, Coconut oil, 1 Red bell pepper, Kale, 2 pieces bacon

330p : Handful pecans

630p : Chicken, 1 Red bell pepper, Olive oil (+ 1/2 onion)

7p : Celery, Almond butter

1030p : 3 hard boiled eggs

FitDay Breakdown

CAL 1,098
FAT 84 (67%)
CHO 22.5 (8%)
PRO 69.2 (25%)

For more I keep it logged here wfs

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Diet Critique - What am I doing wrong????

Sam;
My two cents, give it more time, and I would NOT drop my cals below 1400ish.
Your food Macro's look great.

If you ever get a chance, try to have your Resting Metabolic Rate tested. It's nothing more then breathing into a tube for 20 minutes while you sit in a chair. It will give you an idea of how many cals you burn without doing any work.

Do not freak, just keep tweaking. Drink water, eat good food, bump cals up, bump cals down. What works for someone else, will probably not work you, hence we're all full of sh-t when giving advice, including me.

Stay the course, give it 30-90 days.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

That is definitely the best food log I've seen when asking for a diet critique. Keep it up!

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 11-08-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Jae Chung

Profile:

Agreed--stay the course, and great food log!

How much are you sleeping? Are you taking any fish oil?

Also, where are you in the Netherlands? My sister is currently in Amsterdam.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Great food quality, but it looks like you may be on the low end for protein. You've got one day where you ate about 12 blocks of protein (I know you're not counting blocks, it's just easier for me to think in terms of protein grams that way) but most days you're only between 7 and 10 protein blocks (49-70g). Looking at your workout log it looks like you're doing a pretty good amount of strength and metcon work, so you need protein to help your muscles repair themselves. A little rough Zone math (I assumed 20% body fat and used the .8 activity level multiplier) says you should be at about 12 blocks or 84g of protein a day. So I would recommend giving that a shot, if you're looking to tweak something.

And for what it's worth, Robb Wolf recommends about 30g of carbs per day for women who are looking to lean out. His site has all kinds of good information if you aren't familiar with it. But don't go tweaking too many things at once, because then you won't be able to pinpoint what's giving you your results.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Sam;
My two cents, give it more time, and I would NOT drop my cals below 1400ish.
Your food Macro's look great.

If you ever get a chance, try to have your Resting Metabolic Rate tested. It's nothing more then breathing into a tube for 20 minutes while you sit in a chair. It will give you an idea of how many cals you burn without doing any work.

Do not freak, just keep tweaking. Drink water, eat good food, bump cals up, bump cals down. What works for someone else, will probably not work you, hence we're all full of sh-t when giving advice, including me.

Stay the course, give it 30-90 days.
Thanks Jay - where do I go get my RMR tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
Agreed--stay the course, and great food log!

How much are you sleeping? Are you taking any fish oil?

Also, where are you in the Netherlands? My sister is currently in Amsterdam.
Thanks

I sleep between 6 and 9 hours. It's not usually fully rested sleep. I wake up a lot. I don't really know why but it's what happens.
I take 3-4 fish oil capsules after every big meal.
And, I'm in Groningen which is a 2 hour train ride from Amsterdam SO FUN! Except I'm not the drinking type so I miss out on a lot that goes on here. Hah. Oh well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Great food quality, but it looks like you may be on the low end for protein. You've got one day where you ate about 12 blocks of protein (I know you're not counting blocks, it's just easier for me to think in terms of protein grams that way) but most days you're only between 7 and 10 protein blocks (49-70g). Looking at your workout log it looks like you're doing a pretty good amount of strength and metcon work, so you need protein to help your muscles repair themselves. A little rough Zone math (I assumed 20% body fat and used the .8 activity level multiplier) says you should be at about 12 blocks or 84g of protein a day. So I would recommend giving that a shot, if you're looking to tweak something.

And for what it's worth, Robb Wolf recommends about 30g of carbs per day for women who are looking to lean out. His site has all kinds of good information if you aren't familiar with it. But don't go tweaking too many things at once, because then you won't be able to pinpoint what's giving you your results.
Thanks, I'll try to tweak PRO before CHO for about a week or two, see if that helps. I had done the low-carb thing for a while and didn't really see results. My problem is I fear a thyroid problem. My doctor told me it's not low enough to resort to medication but that means it's not high either...

I wake up with a constant temperature of 96.5-96.7F

Hmm. I don't know the 20 lbs I've added this year even while eating paleo (85-90%) and CFing (mainpage until the end of summer) - I just don't see where I went wrong because I didn't eat any different, hmm.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Samantha,

Your BMR is ~1439kcal/d so you'd be losing weight if your food diary was accurate. I suspect that because fat is the main energy source in your diet you're simply underestimating the amount you're eating. This is incredibly easy to do as fats are so energy dense and the ease with which your body stores dietary fats would explain the 20 lb weight gain you seen over over the past year (wfs link). The obvious solution therefore would be to reduce the fat content of your diet and increase your consumption of less energy dense foods such as fresh fruit and vegetables.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I think the main problem (besides the chance of errors in measurement as darryl said) is that you (sam) are quite inconsistent when it comes to your diet.

I suspect if you keep this up, stay around 1400, increase your protein, & veggies intake - you should begin to lose weight.

It's when you become inconsistent, eat 1400 for a week, then go mad and have a few binges for a week, then starve yourself for 2 days, then start all over again.... that is where the problems start.

Also, I am somewhat confused as to why you feel you must continue this high fat/low everything else approach when clearly it simply doesn't work for you. Before, when you ate a higher carbohdyrate diet you weighed 20# less and didn't have a very up and down/somewhat unhealthy relationship with food.

Perhaps you are one of the ones who simply doesn't do well with the V low carb approach. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I want to clarify - that I am not saying that you (Sam) are somehow "weak" when it comes to your diet. The binges and unhealthy relationship are not your fault per se, it is rather the method I would say.

Putting such strict rules on yourself (as entailed in the paleo diet) is great for many, but with a history of eating issues like you have - perhaps a less rigid approach might help you feel normal towards food again, and not have such wild swings in intake. One should not feel out of control when it comes to food. And when you DO feel like that - don't chalk it down to you being "weak" or beat yourself up about it. It's not weakness, rather it is your body rebelling and telling you what IT needs. If you do not listen... then yeah, Binges happen.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post

Thanks, I'll try to tweak PRO before CHO for about a week or two, see if that helps. I had done the low-carb thing for a while and didn't really see results.
If you've tried low-carb and it didn't work for you there's no reason to try it again. As others have said, maybe shift some of your fat calories to protein and carbs. More protein=helps your body build and repair muscle=higher RMR=burn more calories throughout the day and lean out. And since you say you don't respond well to low carb, maybe you need a little higher carb intake to refuel after your workouts.

Your percentage breakdown is similar to the numbers you'd see for an Athlete's Zone with 5x fat. Good for people who need the extra calories to keep weight on and fuel activity...bad if you're trying to lean out.