CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Matt Reiland

Profile:
Freezer full of grass-fed meats

I recently signed up for a monthly home delivery of grass-fed meats from a local farm, and have discovered several other sources at local farmer's markets to supplement my supply in between monthly deliveries. Just a little bit of research and calling around, and I may never buy meat from the grocery store again!

I have in the past week gotten a whole chicken, lots of ground beef, pork chops, a 2lb section of pork shoulder, sliced uncured pork belly, hog jowl, a lamb shoulder roast, beef stew meet, a beef shouder roast, several beef cutlets, and a thick uncooked ham steak.

I've got a pretty good handle on cooking most of the items, but does anyone have any suggested recipes for the hog jowl or the ham steak? Preferably Paleo?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Freezer full of grass-fed meats

ahem... hog jowl? i can't offer any recipes as I thought you had to acquire most of those items by means of the black market. however, getting them from local farms seems like an awesome idea and I thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reiland View Post
I
I've got a pretty good handle on cooking most of the items, but does anyone have any suggested recipes for the hog jowl or the ham steak? Preferably Paleo?
Matt; nice work on buying local meat. Never tried hog jowl, but I have another pig coming this month. Might try this:

Hog's Jowl and Turnip Greens with Pot Likker - Serves 4 to 6

To make this at its best, the hog's jowl must have a smoked and cured flavor.

1 jowl, cleaned
1 large batch of young turnip greens, washed and drained
6 eggs for poaching
Wine vinegar in a cruet with a hot pepper pod

Place jowl in boiling water to cover. Cook 45 minutes or until jowl is almost done.. Add a pan full of turnip greens. Cook gently for another hour or more.

Serve the jowl in the center of a platter with the greens around it. Garnish with poached eggs. Serve the pot likker in a separate dish to be used as gravy with cornbread. Serve everyone a slice of the tongue and a bit of the cheek. Pass the cruet of wine vinegar.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

just google PORK CHEEKS. Jowls are a southern american term. Using cheeks your going to get alot of ethnic hits. Mainly french / spanish/ and asian.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

gotcha, thanks. sorry to ask a question in your thread, Matt, but how did you come across this meat delivery stuff? i'm very interested in getting local meats. i realize this probably isn't the best time considering winter's almost here but did you just come across a farm/ranch or what?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Matt Reiland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Hog's Jowl and Turnip Greens with Pot Likker - Serves 4 to 6
I was hoping to get some input from you, I've tried some of your other recipes (chicken quarters with Frank's in the crockpot, et al). I've been on a bit of a greens kick lately, so it sounds like turnip greens and hog jowl it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
gotcha, thanks. sorry to ask a question in your thread, Matt, but how did you come across this meat delivery stuff? i'm very interested in getting local meats. i realize this probably isn't the best time considering winter's almost here but did you just come across a farm/ranch or what?
Andrew, I just started googling for grass-fed meat in my area, and stumbled across this farm. It's about 1.5 hours from my house. It reminds me very much of Mr. Salatin's Polyface Farm (read Omnivore's Dilemna if you are not sure I'm talking about). At least that's the impression I get from my conversations with them, but a visit to the farm is in the works so I can see first-hand. They are popular enough that they do monthly home deliveries in areas of high demand. I think about 10 homes in an area is what they shoot for.

In each delivery, they aim to provide 2 adults 3 meals a week for a month. In order to supplement that and fill in for the other meals during the week, I happened to visit a farmer's market in the area where multiple vendors supply grass-fed/pasture raised meats. Some aren't purely grass-fed (some were supplemented with oats or milo), but still better than CAFO grocery store meat in my opinion. Also was able to get some eggs.

If you are looking for something in your area, try the following resources (all wfs):

www.localharvest.org
www.eatwild.com
Google "outstanding in the field" - one of the farms may be in your area
Here's a farm near you - www.forksfarmmarket.com

Hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

google pork cheeks and apples.. its a german standard.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Ham steak ... yummy! Cook slowly for a couple of hours, can use some ACV and tomatoes for a bbq flavor, or some coconut milk with various asian spices. No specific directions, but it'll work!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Awesome, thanks Matt. =]
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
Shawn Michels

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reiland View Post
I recently signed up for a monthly home delivery of grass-fed meats from a local farm, and have discovered several other sources at local farmer's markets to supplement my supply in between monthly deliveries. Just a little bit of research and calling around, and I may never buy meat from the grocery store again!

I have in the past week gotten a whole chicken, lots of ground beef, pork chops, a 2lb section of pork shoulder, sliced uncured pork belly, hog jowl, a lamb shoulder roast, beef stew meet, a beef shouder roast, several beef cutlets, and a thick uncooked ham steak.

Thanks in advance!
Would you mind if I ask how much this costs?