CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Michael Ingley

Profile:
good multivitamin?

any suggestions/tips on what to look for to tell if you're buying a good multi?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:
Re: good multivitamin?

I'd check Consumer Labs, or see if you can dig up other reviews of vitamin quality. They will tell you if you're actually getting the stated quantities, whether the things dissolve properly, whether they're contaminated or adulterated, etc.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
any suggestions/tips on what to look for to tell if you're buying a good multi?
I think the Multi idea is Marketing B/S by the "take a pill, get/stay well" corporate America crowd.

Spend your money on some good veggies, fruit, best meat/fish you can afford, eat that way for a year, have some blood work done, see results. If lacking, tweak your diet.

What if, and this is a big what if: What if your body really doesn't use very well, vit's in pills, yet we all take them by the billions each year??

Bag the multi, eat real food.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Matth Challoner

Profile:

fish oil
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

NSI makes a once-a-day multi that has 2000 iu of vitamin D. It also contains various "natural" compounds that are in fashion these days (Q10, ALA, green tea extract, resveratol ... ). It doesn't contain Magnesium, which is OK by me cuz I'm taking ZMA these days.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy-...-3-60-Capsules (wfs)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Christian Charles Wright Jr.

Profile:

Damage Control Multivitamin from Mark's Dail Apple is good...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Ryan Palm

Profile:

Mostly in a good Multi your looking for something that is a 2-3 a day, and non-synthetic...there's more too it, but if I was going to recommend one It would be NOW's Adam (men) and Eve (women) multi's. And then adding some additional Magnesium, Calcium, and V-C...

As said above, if your diet is perfect...you can get ur nutrients via food...but I almost guarantee no one has a perfect diet...You'd have to base your servings and food via Micro Nutrients...It's possible, but improbable....so most of us can benefit from a good multi.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

I'm all about Paleo but one thing that bugs me is the idea that just because we evolved to eat that way that automatically means we can't do any better. HOGWASH! Just because we evolved to walk and run everywhere doesnt mean that a bicycle or compression shorts or a water bottle wont help us get there better/faster.

There are plenty of studies that show that certain vitamins and minerals continue to have a positive effect up to 10x the RDA levels. Sure, you dont need that much to be healthy but it can make you better...just like you dont need a bicycle to get from point a to point b but it can make you faster. Also, in order to get this much vitamins from eating naturally most people would end up taking in too many calories...that would even be a concern for organic Paleo eaters in my opinion. Vitamins let you increase your nutritional intake without increasing your calories.

They increase the nutritional density of your food which is one of the big benefits of paleo to begin with.

I would suggest that you should look at spreading your supplements throughout the day. I have a problem with the idea that your body can effectively absorb all those vitamins/minerals in one sitting. Cut the pill in two and take half at breakfast, half at lunch and then take another half with dinner.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Patricia Seip

Profile:

Efficacy is the key. If the company is not testing to pharmaceutical grade then don't trust it. They must prove what's on the label is in the blood stream, and if they cannot guarantee that, then don't take it. I've only found one company that does.............called Shaklee.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

They are all crap. Take it from someone who has worked in the industry. Real live foods are your friends, as are some superfoods out there.

Besides maybe vitamin d and certain b vitamins(eat more liver and wheat germ), what makes you think your really deficient?