CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  
Re: Plantar fasciitis

I had a 9 month bout in my left foot a couple of years ago. Ultimately, what turned the corner for me was rolling the bottom of my foot with golf balls and/or lacrosse balls a few times a day, followed by ice baths. I would fill a cooler with a few inches of ice, add water, set the timer for 10 minutes, and begin whimpering right around the 6 minute mark.

It has begun to flare up a few times since then. I recognize the feeling immediately and I just roll for a few days and it goes away now. By roll, I mean apply as much pressure as you can possibly stand, and then push about 10% harder, rolling through the heel, arch and forefoot, maybe for 5-10 minutes. This should also lead to some light to moderate whimpering. Tears are a good thing.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Vic Carter

Profile:

I had PF for a year after running the LA Marathon. Stretching with a belt, ice bathes, using a lacrosse ball and a sleeping boot helped but most of all staying off of it helped the most. Maybe thats why it took me a year to recover.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
Brent E Harsch

Profile:

I recommended it earlier as it's what my Physical Therapist had me use. Here's a link to the Strasburg Sock. It works.

http://www.thesock.com/ (wfs)
34/m/5'10"/215lbs/BF%UNK PR's CFT 785#/DL 375#/1Mile Run 6:21/2km Row 7:56/10K 1:00:52/400M 1:17/Accomplishments Burpee Mile
Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Spillman View Post
Anyone ever have\had Plantar fasciitis ? This is a really annoying injury!!!

Mostly it says to rest, and stretch.. Any other tips or tactics to recovery?

"Treatment options for plantar fasciitis include rest, massage therapy, stretching, weight loss, night splints, motion control running shoes, physical therapy, cold therapy, heat therapy, orthotics, anti-inflammatory medications, injection of corticosteroids and surgery in refractory cases. Also, in some cases, massaging of the inflamed location serves as a temporary relief"

well, i guess that covers it... ANNOYING INJURY!
Do you have any thoughts as to what caused this in the first place?

When I came down to PF it occurred due the result of a longer trail run. I do not like when injuries impact my training, so I tried to learn how to fix this to prevent it from repeating. I second the rolling of a lacrosse ball on the foot. I would do this in the office at my desk, and it really helped with the inflammation. Also, since then I have drastically changed my running form. I was a horrible heal striker when I came down with PF, and since I (gradually) changed my running, I have never had a re-occurrence.

The point of that story is trying to get to the cause of PF in the first place. One of the other posts suggested this as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Wes Palmer

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Plantar fasciitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis King View Post
If you haven't tried the trendy, over-priced toe shoes
Good luck.
Haha well I bought my vibrams when they were only $65 bucks, but the cured my plantar fasciitis just by wearing them for walking. Find your size and check ebay for some deals, they work wonders on your feet
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
Do you have any thoughts as to what caused this in the first place?

When I came down to PF it occurred due the result of a longer trail run. I do not like when injuries impact my training, so I tried to learn how to fix this to prevent it from repeating. I second the rolling of a lacrosse ball on the foot. I would do this in the office at my desk, and it really helped with the inflammation. Also, since then I have drastically changed my running form. I was a horrible heal striker when I came down with PF, and since I (gradually) changed my running, I have never had a re-occurrence.

The point of that story is trying to get to the cause of PF in the first place. One of the other posts suggested this as well.
Yea, I believe I discovered it was heavy heel striking while wearing minimalist shoes. Plus, doing this in a week when I was switching shoes a lot as I was trying to increase my mileage for 1/2 marathon training. I rested a week, with a ton of stretching and rolling out. It seems better for now, I have ran a 2 miler, and 3.5 miler since.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Emphatically, THIS. ^^^

I used to get plantar fasciitis and shin splins. After adopting minimal shoes and strengthening of the foot and leg muscles from progressive use of the shoes, I now have NO foot or leg pain when running. And this is from a guy weighing around 230.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Matt Connolly

Profile:

I'd strongly recommend trying RockTape - google it to find a practitioner in your area. It's brilliant when it comes to injuries/conditions like this. I've used it a number of times on myself, family members and clients and it's always had a positive result.