CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #101
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

Getting a personal (semi-personal?) trainer is not cheap either. It all depends on whether you are willing to pay for the instruction.

I'd be inclined to say that if you are healthy, mobile and not too out of shape, with the right amount of motivation, you could probably teach yourself everything but the gymnastics/olympic lifting stuff. You could also do your own programming (some boxes do not program very well, others are exceptional).
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #102
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post

Poor and happy beats rich and unhappy everyday.
I sure wouldn't mind trying the latter to see if you right.

You showed an excellent break down of why affiliates charge what they charge.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #103
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J. Campbell View Post
Just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread.

I pay $100 / month for my 8 year old son to take Karate classes. I've also paid $100 / month for my Muay Thai membership. In both cases, we could attend as many scheduled classes as our schedules would allow and we received specialized training in group environments. I think this example is a better comparison to Crossfit.

Maybe I've never questioned the cost of the martial arts memberships because I admit I can't replicate the value of those classes on my own. If someone feels they can produce a similar / better Crossfit experience in their garage, then by all means, go for it. However, I believe the majority of the masses that are drawn to Crossfit pay for specialized training / instruction / team environment, etc.
Yes, the monthly rates for Crossfit boxes seem to be right on par with those charged by martial arts schools in the same area. And as someone who has trained in a martial art since I was in my late teens, I can say that the Crossfit gym membership experience when it really comes down to it has a lot more in common with enrollment in martial arts classes than it does membership and regular use at a conventional (globo) gym. My martial arts schools have been places where I learned specific skills that I could not readily teach myself, where I am exposed to constant feedback from a watchful coach or instructor so that I can further refine the skills I have already learned, where my regular attendance is expected for a set class time when an instructor will be present to teach, and where I would get a phone call or an e-mail if I was away for more than a week. I also occasionally attend yoga classes on the side and the drop-in rate per class is about what it is for the boxes and dojos that allow drop-ins and charge. If I did yoga as my primary discipline and wanted to commit to a monthly unlimited membership, I would expect to pay as much as I would for Crossfit or MA on that basis. Again, I am getting an array of classes to choose from to fit my schedule, I am given feedback and it is expected that I am taking up space in the studio just as I am in the box or the dojo.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #104
Wes Palmer

Profile:

Last year I checked into prices around San Diego, just out of curiosity since I have a full gym (minus a rope) in my garage. They usually ranged from $100 to $150, but I did find one that was only $70 a month. It was an MMA/Crossfit box with an open gym policy. I almost joined even though I didn't need it because its a steal! My point is if you look enough you can find a box that you can afford. Since then I know of at least 3 new boxes that have opened here in SD, and Im sure some of them were offering deals
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #105
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kellogg View Post
Yes, the monthly rates for Crossfit boxes seem to be right on par with those charged by martial arts schools in the same area. And as someone who has trained in a martial art since I was in my late teens, I can say that the Crossfit gym membership experience when it really comes down to it has a lot more in common with enrollment in martial arts classes than it does membership and regular use at a conventional (globo) gym. My martial arts schools have been places where I learned specific skills that I could not readily teach myself, where I am exposed to constant feedback from a watchful coach or instructor so that I can further refine the skills I have already learned, where my regular attendance is expected for a set class time when an instructor will be present to teach, and where I would get a phone call or an e-mail if I was away for more than a week. I also occasionally attend yoga classes on the side and the drop-in rate per class is about what it is for the boxes and dojos that allow drop-ins and charge. If I did yoga as my primary discipline and wanted to commit to a monthly unlimited membership, I would expect to pay as much as I would for Crossfit or MA on that basis. Again, I am getting an array of classes to choose from to fit my schedule, I am given feedback and it is expected that I am taking up space in the studio just as I am in the box or the dojo.
Over the years, I have seen numerous people compare a CF gym to Martial Arts instruction. The big difference I see is that Martial Arts instructors usually spend years honing their craft. They may not be great coaches, but they do know their techniques. A CF affiliate may be started after someone takes a weekend course and pays the dues. That isn't to say that a person may have been involved in fitness for years and then certified, but it also isn't to say that a person may bring little to the table prior to certification.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #106
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Over the years, I have seen numerous people compare a CF gym to Martial Arts instruction. The big difference I see is that Martial Arts instructors usually spend years honing their craft. They may not be great coaches, but they do know their techniques.
Well.... some of them do....

The martial arts world has its own extensive collection of bad instructor horror stories.

Still, I agree. There are lots of CF affiliate owners with less experience than a typical black belt, much less a typical dojo owner.

Katherine
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #107
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

At Planet Fitness, it's only $10 a month. And you get "First Monday of the Month Pizza Party" included!

Nope, not kidding. Oh, and they have a candy bowl on the front desk too.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #108
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

One of the open gym CF gyms in Sac was between 50-70. Pretty sweet as it was a mile away from where I worked and it had a shower besides all the toys (except just half racks not a power rack but they did have platforms).

To participate in CF classes was the usual prices but to note, very few members just did the open gym only. Generally only experienced lifters and crossfitters.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #109
Jason Fischer

Profile:

It's unfortunate how much it varies between gyms. I just moved from one city where basic fees were $100/month for 3 days a week to a new city where basic fees are $295/3 months for one day a week. So basically $100/month for one day a week? I don't think so. I'm still a student.

I've got a big garage and a long driveway in the country. I think I'm going to put up a pull-up bar, order some rings, maybe a kettle bell and occasionally go to a different local gym (still have to check it out) for heavy days.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #110
Andrew Tsao

Profile:

I used to spend at least $150.00 a month on crap food, eating stuff that was killing me at restaurants, going to the bar, things people consider important.

I realized my life and my health was worth $150.00 a month.

What do you get at the box?

Not just a WOD and a place to do it with the right setting and tools.

Coaches who give you the technique to do it right, which is even more important than the exercise.

A supportive community of good people who encourage you whether you are an elite athlete or fat slob like me trying to change my life.

An understanding of the whole life integration of diet, exercise, sleep, muscle, bone and tissue care.

What dollar amount will you put on your quality of life?