CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Shelby Duncan

Profile:
Opinions on Hiring New Coaches.

This question is towards any affiliate owners in general. How do you go about hiring new coaches? Is there a process? requirements other than a level 1?

In my opinion, just because someone has passed the test, doesn't mean they know how to run a class. Opinions?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Opinions on Hiring New Coaches.

Correct.
Having a Level 1 doesn't automatically make you a trainer.
At my gym, new trainers go through a few weeks if shadowing me, and sometimes shadowing another trainer.
I also have my own "train the trainers" course I put them through - which puts them through the old L2 guide.
I found that really useful back when I started, so I continued it when I opened my gym.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Peter McGill

Profile:

What I have seen over here in Ireland, the gyms tend to take on interns and train them up

*edit* The interns are usually gym members not outsiders
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

When I eventually start a box and possibly look for coaches I will put them through a traditional interview to see if our personalities mesh, make sure they're level 1 certified, and then give them some situations where I would see how they program and coach.

I'll pretend to be an overweight woman, a man, an athlete, someone with an injury etc. I want to see how these people scale wods and see if we're on the same page regarding what needs to be done to get the athletes in the best position to succeed.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Adam Morden

Profile:

I'm a big fan of hiring internally - growing your members into trainers is a great way to tighten up the community and culture of your box.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Page Johnson

Profile:

We have an internship program, where the head coach works very closely with interested members, for months, if needed.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Kyle Mcgivern

Profile:

I think its a very personal thing. My affiliate use members who have done their L1. I'd say you need to gel with the new coach and have to be on the same page with regards instructing. I know id be wanting someone who thinks the same way as i do and will maintain standards. At the end of the day they will be representing you.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Guillaume Léon

Profile:

Good morning everybody, my name is Guillaume Leon, I'm french and I just got my level 1 cert a few days ago in Belfast and want to become a good coach.
The fact is, I am unexperienced as a coach.
I was in the french army for 2 years and that's where I discovered Crossfit.
I'm looking for a coach position, or an internship.
I read what you wrote down here and I can see internships seems to be the preferred recruiting process of most box owners.
I need somebody to give me a chance to show I can be a good coach and that's why I'm writing this message right now!
Next week I'll go to the Strongman course in Oslo and in late november I'll also attend a movement and mobility course in London.
Moving to another country is no problem for me, I am even looking for it.
It's right, coaches and owners should be on the same state of mind and I want to find a box which could be a kind of "second home"
If someone is interested in my application, please answer to this post or send me a message!

Best regards,

Guillaume
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Guillaume - you may want to do some research on affiliates you'd be interested in going to and contact them directly. Probably a better way to get in touch than on a hit-and-miss message board.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
Guillaume Léon

Profile:

Hi jeff!
Yes, thank you for the advice.
In fact I'm already well aware of that but I'm still in france right now and crossfit is not really developed in France.

I am now a level trainer but can't coach in france. In france, we have to get a BPJEPS (certification which allow us to work in globo gyms) even to work in a Crossfit gym.

This thing costs between 5000 and 7000 euros and lasts 1 year.

Moreover, I would really love to live and work abroad as a coach.

To get a work visa to the U.S or Canada, I need a sponsorship.

To the other countries, for example the U.K or Australia, I don't really know how to do. Should I go there and knock at the doors?

I mean, what will I do for a living, meanwhile?

Do someone have an advice to give me?