CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Paul Sousa

Profile:
Quick CFT Question

I did the CFT for the first time today and got 715 (265 BS, 135 SP, 315 DL). With that total should I do CF, or would I be better off doing SS first? I'm 6' 183# if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
David Bott

Profile:
Re: Quick CFT Question

Like the answer to 95%+ of the questions in the "Starting" section.... just do the WODs

If u wanna focus on getting stronger at those lifts, then do SS, if you wanna get stronger and fitter and improve your all over conditioning, do xfit. I think a lot of folks will start xfit, then a few months down the track get into SS for a while, then jump back into xfit again. I tried this, but personally after doing different workouts everyday, going back into sticking to the one program had me bored silly in about 2 weeks.

The CFT can be, for me anyway, a good way to simply gauge your strength increases as a result of your ongoing xfit efforts.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Thanks for the response. I guess my question is more whether that total indictes I am at a strength level where I am ready for CF. I've read that it is easier for someone stronger to gain the endurance benefits of CF as opposed to the opposite and am wondering where my total would put in me in relation to that. I guess I am looking for a frame of reference for my total (the thread with the median from LIA didn't help as errors in entering totals skewed the results).

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

Paul, you're definately strong enough for most of the WODs. On the heavier stuffs, you might have to just scale it down a little but i think most weights should be managable for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Thanks Ariff!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Paul, I've been doing just CF for 3 months now, and my CFT has gone up each time (695 to 740 to 755 yesterday), and I'm able to do most of the WOD's as RX'd, although some of the tougher ones I've had to scale down a little to make it through in a reasonable time, and I'm limited on a few things I can't do (I'm not good at oly lifts, so heavy weights on those is beyond me now... also haven't done muscle-ups yet), but I feel like just doing CF is greatly benefiting my strength. I've also lost 11# in the same time period.

That being said, I do plan on doing starting strength (or possibly some sort of BB, maybe Gant Grimes' program) this winter, to change things up a little and because I just want to be stronger. I like being a relatively small guy but knowing that I'm stronger than almost everyone I know... (Fellow CFers excepted, but I don't know a lot of them, yet)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the response. So far with the WODs my biggest limitation has been form and flexibility (OHS isn't even possible yet). But it's only been almost a week of me trying to actually follow the main page WODs so I'm still very new to this. I'll stick with it and based on others experience I am seeing I should make some good gains in the coming months.

Thanks all!