CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Jeff Riegler

Profile:
New Member with a question

Hello all - new member from Tampa here. I've been following Crossfit for awhile and I'm ready to take the Skill Level fitness tests. I have a few questions about the tests though (and I've read the FAQ top to bottom). That certainly doesn't mean that I've missed this somewhere....

Level 1
Kettlebell Swings. The Skill Level Test indicates that I need to do 25, but it doesn't provide a weight.

Wallball. It doesn't say, but can I assume that this is with a standard 20lb medicine ball?

Christine. One component of Christine is the dead lift, but a weight is not indicated. Again, I've looked through the FAQ and the "Christine" workout is not listed, so I can't tell if there is a standard weight that is used for this routine.

Level 2
Rope Climb. My gym does not have a rope. The FAQ says that I can substitute towel pull ups, but does not provide a number that is equivalent to the rope climb.

Helen. Again with the kettle bell swings! It just doesn't tell me how much weight to use, so I'm going to assume it is the same as the Helen routine as listed on the FAQ and 1.5 pood.

Thank you all for your time, and if these questions have been covered before, my apologies. Just point me in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Ariff Saufi

Profile:
Re: New Member with a question

i think for KB works if the weight is not stated, the general prescribed weight is 1.5pood (24kg) for Men, and 1pood (16kg) for Ladies.

you're spot on with the Wallballs, 20# for Men.

anyway, welcome aboard
Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

For level 1, I'd generally say a pood is enough. If you can do a pood - you'll do fine with a pood and a half, just takes more mental effort for someone starting out and good form.

For rope climbs I do the number of feet in pulls - so if its a 15' rope then its 15 total towel pull-ups.

"Christine" seems to be lost in the ages. I've never seen it come up in 1 1/2 years. Of course I haven't ever seen "Chelsea" either.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Jeff Riegler

Profile:

Thank you for the replies. I'm still looking for clarification on the dead lifts. I googled it, and I found answers ranging from 135lbs to bodyweight.

Anyone have a definite answer?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I didn't even see Christine on the list of wod names, maybe I'm blind. I imagine if a weight is not listed, Coach would list a weight if/when we ever did this Wod. I would imagine the min. would be 135lbs, and max is 225. I'm not sure how many reps are required, but I always use a general rule that, for example in a 21-15-9 degression, it def. should not take you more then 3 subsets to do the 21 (2 is better) and you should be able to do the "9" straight through, otherwise lower the weight. Just my 2 centst
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post

For rope climbs I do the number of feet in pulls - so if its a 15' rope then its 15 total towel pull-ups.
I find towel pullups to be a LOT harder than rope climbing. There's something about how towels are so hard on the grip that makes them so dang hard.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Jack Graves

Profile:
New Member with a question

hey i've been doing crossfit for about 4 weeks now.. at training the ohter day i had my body fat % done.

got the results last night and it can up as 4.65% is that too low?

jack
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Possible but highly unlikely

The accuracy of methods varies hugely and depends not only on the process but on the skill of the person administering the test.

with less than 5% BF you should have cross striations in your thighs and glutes. Clarence Bass of Ripped had a BF at about 4-5% I believe. Look him up on the internet and see if you are that lean.