CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
Sim

Profile:  
I have looked at the sites workouts and I don't know about you guys but to me it just seemed like a bit too much. I think I could do a day of crossfit but, three straight days would be tough. I'm sure that the crossfit workouts wouldn't be too much for an MMA fighter but for a jiu-jitsu competitor it could be a lot. I'm not saying that crossfit is not effective or anything like that because I don't know a lot about weight training, strenth training, etc.

I have also heard from a lot of guys how much crossfit has helped them, guys like BJ Penn, Cameron Earle, Garth Taylor. I just wanted to know how crossfit gives bjj guys good gas(what i mean is never getting tired in a match) without running too much. I see your workouts and it doesn't have a lot of long distance running to it just a lot of sprints. Is that the key to getting good gas? Doing more sprints. Sorry if i have a lot of questions but to summarize what i typed my two questions are
1. Should i do more sprints than running 2-3 miles to make my gas better
2. Isn't crossfit too much to do everyday?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hi Sim!
One does have to regulate the intensity of training a bit ie. some days you really go for it and other days you may be phoning it in a bit...but in training circles that is considered active rest.

If you read the coaches corner part on MMA, the foundations and the linked articles on the time scale of training adaptations you will see that the metabolic pathways which are utilized during BJJ are what is primarily trained in crossfit. It does break with tradition a bit... but the science makes sense and more importantly... it works. If you have ever watched the documentary "Choke" you see Rickson doing sprints up stairs and gymnastics. Chack out some of the training advocated by matt furey, steve maxwell and others...most of the good fighters do intense interval training and rely on slower technique based mat work to in place of long distance running.
Hope this helps.
Robb
Old 10-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Long distance running will help your endurace at--long distance running! I have empirical evidence to go along with the scientific. Before starting CrossFit, I was training for a marathon. I could run forever. On the mat, my endurance was no better than before I started running. After starting CrossFit, my endurance on the mat went way, way up. It makes sense if you think about it. You jog/run and your heart rate is in the 135 bpm range. What is it when you do jiu jitsu? Much higher. To get in shape for this, you must train at a much higher heart rate. After CrossFit, rolling is easy.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:17 PM   #4
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Here is Patrick before CrossFit!!
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/180.jpg
Old 10-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Alright. Who put that up there? I want names. Is this your doing Coach? All you people at CrossFit know that's not me. I have never been that tanned in my life!