CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-24-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
Mike Berryhill

Profile:  
I have been lurking around here for a while reading what i can and getting together equipment. Ive been working out doing what i can, but now its time to get serious. But i am looking for some info. Does anyone know of a website that i can print some simple drawings of olympic lifts to put on the garage wall? Does everyone here just follow the WOD? I think im going to go back a month and plan it out on a calender so i will know what coming up and plan for it. Maybe Crossfit could do a "getting started" journal with simple drawings of lifts and exercises, ideas for homemade equip., and basics of cardio,substitutes for various exercises,ect...ect. I would pay good money for printable info like that! I have been just half *** applying the Crossfit concept and have lost weight and feel much better. People at work are always comenting on me loseing weight.:biggrin: I cant wait to see what happens now when i really get serious!:biggrin:
Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Mike,

That printed info on olympic lifts, nutrition, cardio, etc., especially as it relates to the CrossFit concept, is the CrossFit Journal (CFJ).

I'd suggest reading the free CFJ if you haven't already done so. You'll find scads of useful info in the journals, including how to build your own home gym, how to perform a clean, etc.

Also, have you checked out the Exercises section?--you'll find all kinds of slideshows, which break down the key components of lifts and other exercises (lunges, for example).

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Mike!!!! I was going to charge him big money for that info.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Someone posted a link to this site a while ago: http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/cleanandjerk. Interesting photos.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
Becky Clemens

Profile:  
I just tried my first CF workout this past Saturday and loved it. I'm a triathlete and also have a strong weight lifting background. I'm going to read the CFJ and start trying to follow some of the workouts. My question is this - is anyone out there also a triathlete and/or runner and can give me any feedback on how this has helped/not helped your performance? I already have a hard time fitting in runnung/biking/swimming/lifting, so if I can cut down on any of these without hurting my performance, it would be WONDERFUL!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Becky,

These threads may be of interest to you:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/1316.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/1182.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/1397.html

The general consensus around here seems to be that you can start focusing in on more triathlon-specific training 4-6 weeks out from the event. Beyond that, though, doing the WOD is all you really need.

Hope this helps,

Mike