CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
This morning, I finally hit 20 pullups (22 actually). I went and tried last night, thinking I had figured out the kip, but I ended up swinging too much and my forearms were blasted by 17 because I had to hang there to control the swing after eveyr couple reps. So today I recommitted. I knew I needed to swing less, but still get a powerful upward thrust. Instead of "trying" to kip, I just did what felt natural.

I stood in front of that pullup bar for a minute or so talking to it and myself. "You're not letting go of this bar until you hit 20." I hit 20, hung for a few seconds, and managed to get out a couple more. The kip still isn't perfect, but I was able to flow from one rep to the next without stopping. And it felt powerful. Even had an old guy stop his workout to watch and gave me a "nice move" comment afterwards.

Thanks to Ben Kaminski for getting me started on kipping with some free, in-person instruction and to Larry Lindenman for teaching me not to fight the bar (along with more in-person instruction). Oddly enough, I kinda figured it out while doing drunken deck pullups at a friend's lake house. We were goofing off and he wanted to see a kip cause he had never seen it. So while explaining it to him, it kinda came to me...just had to work to control it.

I think I need more grip endurance cause that seems to be what's going fastest on my pullups. Nowhere to go but up now! I think I committed to 40 for Eugene's birthday, so kids on the playgrounds might wanna watch out for the idiot hanging from their swingsets.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I knew you had it! Just needed some refinement. Great job Scott! Now add static hangs at the top and bottom to get the grip strength up. I try to get 50 pull ups a day (30 in warm ups and 2 x 10 in the evening) to keep the numbers up. I usually test max on "rest" days. You'll have 40 in no time.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Good job Scott.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Excellent work Scott. I too had a "kip moment" a couple of weeks ago, it's like doing a completely different exercise, one that I actually enjoy.

Larry, is there more to say about static hangs for grip strength. I too am grip limited on pullups (as well as deadlifts). Should I assume you just mean hang there for as long as possible? Perhaps add some weight to a belt?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

Nice work, Scott. I'm still working on developing a decent kip; still more of a kick legs type of thing at the moment, which get you up there better, but isn't very efficient.

It'd be great to see you doing 40...