CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Matt Woodbury

Profile:
Bi-Lateral knee pain around and under the patella

1st post here,been lurking for a while but anyway. I have had knee pain for the last couple years. Between being over weight( at that time and up until 1 year ago I was 295 and have since in the last year dropped down to 215), roofing and construction in general for year and now being a FF/EMT I am squatting and kneeling a lot. I have seen a doctor about this many time and have had MRI's and X-rays. The docs response was lose weight and do more squats. Well 80 lbs have been dropped and I started crossfit 8 months ago I still have the knee pain. It almost feels like there is an air bubble under my knee cap and at other times it feels like a pinching burning feeling around my knee cap. I am lost as far as what to do and and looking to help. I have been toughing it out but it is starting to ware on me. Any advise would be great
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Bi-Lateral knee pain around and under the patella

could be some wear under the patella that is giving irritation. Imris are negative then the case is usually patellofemoral syndrome which can happen when the kneecap rubs against the femur causing pain. different causes for patellofemoral syndrome which a PT can help usually
Old 05-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Clint Atkinson

Profile:

Matt, your doc seems half right.
Losing weight = good.
More squats...hm. Sounds like you squat a lot at work already.

Tight muscles and ligaments, and fascia adhesions might be the culprit.
Try stretching calves, hamstrings, quads, IT bands. Check YouTube for cross-fiber massage on the ligaments around the knee.

I'd say, invest in a series of visits to a good deep tissue massage therapist for your legs.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Matt Woodbury

Profile:

Met with my orthopedic 2weeks ago and he congratulated me on the weight loss and working out!!! He recommended I do some PT with a theripst do to weak VMO's. Started PT last week and the guy is great. He has me doing tons of rolling and AROM movements to strengthen legs, he also noticed my limited ROM in my right knee and is working on a as well. 6 weeks and then a reevaluation. Lets hope it works it self out. Thank you for all the tips and info, I will look into the deep tissue message!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Woodbury View Post
1st post here,been lurking for a while but anyway. I have had knee pain for the last couple years. Between being over weight( at that time and up until 1 year ago I was 295 and have since in the last year dropped down to 215), roofing and construction in general for year and now being a FF/EMT I am squatting and kneeling a lot. I have seen a doctor about this many time and have had MRI's and X-rays. The docs response was lose weight and do more squats. Well 80 lbs have been dropped and I started crossfit 8 months ago I still have the knee pain. It almost feels like there is an air bubble under my knee cap and at other times it feels like a pinching burning feeling around my knee cap. I am lost as far as what to do and and looking to help. I have been toughing it out but it is starting to ware on me. Any advise would be great
My 2c. Whenever we see something bilateral(carpal tunnel, elbow/shoulder pain, knees, ankles), the last place we look is where it hurts. That's just a symptom. In my experience, it would be rare to have that occur. In your case, most of our work would be to address hip and core dysfunction first. Until anything there(asypmtomatic or not) improves, I believe the knee pain will continue to return.

This is how we evaluate patients in non-direct traumatic injuries.

Poor hip mobility, and a dysfunctional core can easily be the causes of this.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Woodbury View Post
Met with my orthopedic 2weeks ago and he congratulated me on the weight loss and working out!!! He recommended I do some PT with a theripst do to weak VMO's. Started PT last week and the guy is great. He has me doing tons of rolling and AROM movements to strengthen legs, he also noticed my limited ROM in my right knee and is working on a as well. 6 weeks and then a reevaluation. Lets hope it works it self out. Thank you for all the tips and info, I will look into the deep tissue message!!
Glad to hear it's improving! As Brian mentioned, knee pain could come from a variety of places (i.e.: hip/core weakness, poor technique, ankle moblity restrictions, weak foot musculature)

My input for improving patellofemoral pain syndrome and returning to cross fit

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Keep us updated, good luck