CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
April Jacobson

Profile:
Diet to lose weight and gain power?

I would love some advice on my diet! I have worked REALLY hard this past year to lose 30lb by calorie restriction/low carb and I have been doing CF since this past Christmas. My problem now is that it seems that in order to make strength gains, I have to eat more calories and carbs, but I am gaining back weight. And not muscle- belly fat! It seems that I all the advice I read is to eat more if you are feeling weak and not seeing gains, but I do not want to gain back the weight. I really notice weakness and poor WODs when I restrict calories and carbs, but then when I up them I gain weight.

My stats: f/36/5'8" 126lb, 27% bf (according to a calculator given here that measures all the body) I do the main site WOD schedule, but I can't rx any of the weight. I have been as low as 122lb, and gone up recently to 128.

I eat very good (and I know what this means), have tried IF but that led to binging, and I am currently following LG protocol. Every pound I lost was HARD and it took about 2 weeks to lose each pound, even with 6 days of hard training a week. I am not someone who can "just do the WOD and the pounds will melt off eventually..." I eat plenty of protein and take take BCAA.

Any advice would be great! I have spent HOURS and HOURS reading everything I can find and it seems that everyone would agree that I need to eat more to avoid the weakness and make strength gains, but every time I do, the weight goes up. I have not maintained this weight very long, so I am afraid to see any extra fat around the middle (where I carry all the weight). I am thin everywhere else, but my middle is way out of proportion!
Thanks so much to anyone who replies!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Diet to lose weight and gain power?

what/how much are you actually eating?

Also consider losing the main site stuff and follow a strength program if you want to see faster strength gains.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

At 5'8" and 126lbs why are you trying to lose weight?

If you're 27% bodyfat at that height/weight you're probably skinny-fat, which means you need to eat quality foods and put on some muscle mass if you want to be healthier and look leaner.

If you feel weak you need to eat more and do more heavy lifting and less conditioning.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

I don't get how you can be 26% fat at 128 lbs. You're probs 16%.

Nevertheless, eat more. 128 lbs is underweight. DO something like GSLP and take it easy. Weight gain is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
April Jacobson

Profile:

I eat tons of eggs, tuna, salmon, beef, bacon and chicken, green smoothies, little dairy in the form of cheese and butter, some fruit, peanut butter and almonds (restricted but occasional), veggies (no potatoes or corn). When I try to add carbs I eat more fruit and some sweet potatoes, and rarely a bread product. I have not calorie counted in a long time, but I doubt its very low (read peanut butter...) I struggle with food cravings and snacking which is why I had so much weight to lose in the first place (that and 6 babies!)

I don't want to lose weight, just belly fat. I really don't care about the scale numbers, except that they are confirming what I see around my middle. I hate being skinny everywhere except my big belly Also, I have tiny bones which is why my weight is low, but my fat is high.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Lift heavy 2 days a week and try to get 3-5 hours of varying intensity of something cardiovascular. But mostly it sounds like you don't do simply don't lift enough or you are eating more than you think. Start calorie counting again and keep a food journal. If you have a smartphone myfitnesspal is a good app for that or you can get an online account for free and log it there.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
At 5'8" and 126lbs why are you trying to lose weight?
Exactly. My girlfriend is around the same height and weight, probably a little taller, she is pretty thin.

Personally I don't trust those calculators for measuring body fat, calipers or those water immersion tanks are probably the best.

Eat good, healthy food, get plenty of sleep, reduce stress, and follow a program to gain strength. Could be SS, GSLP, or any of a couple of others out there.

Just my advice.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Adam Fisk

Profile:

I agree that 27% may be a little high for that weight, but also note that women typically have a higher BF % than men do.

As the others have stated, lift heavier, eat clean/plenty, and do conditioning in moderation.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Oh you're a girl

Well, nothing to add apart from cutting back on cardio and building some muscle
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
April Jacobson

Profile:

So, all y'all feel the same that CF main site WODs aren't enough? I am still pretty new, but I LOVE doing the WOD! I don't have time to do both (didn't mention I have 8 kids under 13) so I would lose CF? Tell me there is another way...