CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Nina Meltzer

Profile:
New to paleo/crossfit

Hi ! I'm new to crossfit/paleo and just wanted some tips on everything.
I'm 5'2 , female and around 113 lbs. Wanting to mostly increase muscle/cut fat...obviously. Not really wanting to lose weight....

Typical diet:
bfast: 1 cup frozen berries,1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 banana and 1 tbsp almond butter in smoothie

snack: nut mix (1 oz) or lara bar or 2 hard boiled eggs

lunch: salad with avocado or turkey

snack: kale chips or lara bar or apple with almond butter

dinner: protein with veggies

post dinner: few berries

Getting a little light headed around 2 pm or so...any suggestions? I was eating pretty healthy before so it's not much of a change?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: New to paleo/crossfit

If you get light-headed in the afternoons, you may need to eat more.

I'd like to see more protein, less dependence on carbs. Which I almost never tell people, so...

Otherwise, food quality looks fine.

Katherine
Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

I agree with Katherine. Looks a little carb heavy to me, particularly the Larabars. I adore them but try to keep them to once a week. I also think you look a little light on good fats. I see a good bit of nuts but maybe work on adding good oils/coconut. Maybe dump the almond milk for canned coconut milk in the smoothie. Have you tried a higher protein bfast like eggs and bacon? Overall I think more volume and specifically more fat & protein.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
Nina Meltzer

Profile:

Thanks guys that's helpful. I've been trying coconut milk instead of almond milk for smoothies, love it! I'm not great at organizing large meals in the AM so I tend to stay away from bacon and eggs as it takes more prep time than a smoothie. Any suggestions for quicker meals? I appreciate your help.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

You aren't eating enough protein, and you aren't eating enough period.

I am legitimately puzzled by this idea that it takes too long to cook eggs for breakfast. I repeatedly read this on the forums.

I just scrambled 5 eggs.

From the time that I turned on the stove to the time I put the eggs on the plate, it took 4 minutes and 25 seconds. I used a stopwatch and timed it. And that was for 5 eggs. 3 eggs would have been faster.

If someone is going to complain about a 5 minute breakfast, then I think they are going to run into other issues with food and priorities down the line.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
You aren't eating enough protein, and you aren't eating enough period.

I am legitimately puzzled by this idea that it takes too long to cook eggs for breakfast. I repeatedly read this on the forums.

I just scrambled 5 eggs.

From the time that I turned on the stove to the time I put the eggs on the plate, it took 4 minutes and 25 seconds. I used a stopwatch and timed it. And that was for 5 eggs. 3 eggs would have been faster.

If someone is going to complain about a 5 minute breakfast, then I think they are going to run into other issues with food and priorities down the line.
I am in agreement with this. The nice thing about eggs is that you don't even have to have the heat on for the full amount of time. Once they're most of the way done you can turn the heat off and they will finish cooking. Plus you can mix just about anything you want. I regularly use spinach, but I have used beef, chicken, onions, mushrooms, jalapenos and I'm considering broccoli. Aside from pizza, eggs are like nature's perfect food.

Kent
Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
I am in agreement with this. The nice thing about eggs is that you don't even have to have the heat on for the full amount of time. Once they're most of the way done you can turn the heat off and they will finish cooking. Plus you can mix just about anything you want. I regularly use spinach, but I have used beef, chicken, onions, mushrooms, jalapenos and I'm considering broccoli. Aside from pizza, eggs are like nature's perfect food.

Kent
I've been doing spinach, cheese, and either bacon or chorizo. My kids seem to like this also.

But, I made 5 plain eggs for demonstration purposes today. I did not count the time that it took me to go downstairs to get the stopwatch. I wanted to be official and everything.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Meltzer View Post
Hi ! I'm new to crossfit/paleo and just wanted some tips on everything.
I'm 5'2 , female and around 113 lbs. Wanting to mostly increase muscle/cut fat...obviously. Not really wanting to lose weight....

Typical diet:
bfast: 1 cup frozen berries,1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 banana and 1 tbsp almond butter in smoothie

snack: nut mix (1 oz) or lara bar or 2 hard boiled eggs

lunch: salad with avocado or turkey

snack: kale chips or lara bar or apple with almond butter

dinner: protein with veggies

post dinner: few berries

Getting a little light headed around 2 pm or so...any suggestions? I was eating pretty healthy before so it's not much of a change?

Thanks for your help!!!!
It's probably hypoglycemia. Eat the whole banana not half at breakfast and have some yams or sweet potatoes with lunch and dinner and you'll be fine.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Nina Meltzer

Profile:

I'm going to try eggs in the AM as you are right, just need to MAKE the time. I'm not a big meat person so I think snacking on meat is difficult for me. What are some good high protein non meat snacks? I appreciate your help and I'm just starting, so please be patient!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
It's probably hypoglycemia. Eat the whole banana not half at breakfast and have some yams or sweet potatoes with lunch and dinner and you'll be fine.
funny that you say that. i used to get hypoglycemic every evening after my pre workout meal which was my lowest fat, highest carb meal of the day mostly in the form of oats. it was so bad that i would have to skip my work out therefore negating the purpose of my preworkout meal. it all stopped when i changed the ratio to higher fat, lower carb.

to the op i think more protein, 1 gram per pound of lean body mass per day, and more balance in meals. like have protein fat and carbs all together. just sharing what has worked well for me.