CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Sarah M Rodriguez

Profile:
Rubber Flooring

Hey everyone!

I'm opening up a box in January, CrossFit La Verne! I'm getting quotes now on rubber flooring for an 1800 sq ft warehouse. Does anyone know of a good place to go that is reasonable pricing and good quality??? Just curious where everyone else went! Thanks everyone!!

-Sarah
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Re: Rubber Flooring

I've seen people using horse stall mats. Try Tractor Supply as a good place to start. Also, you may have a horse tack store near you and they should have good leads on where to get it if you are buying in bulk.

Best of luck!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah M Rodriguez View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm opening up a box in January, CrossFit La Verne! I'm getting quotes now on rubber flooring for an 1800 sq ft warehouse. Does anyone know of a good place to go that is reasonable pricing and good quality??? Just curious where everyone else went! Thanks everyone!!

-Sarah
Horse stall/trailer mats are great, and cheap. Very durable, mop-clean easily, etc. Head up into Victorville/Hisperia area. and probably can find a cheap place to pick them up. Get near "farm property" areas and out of the IE for the best prices.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

FWIW, I'm planning on buying quite a few stall mats, probably from Tractor Supply. I casually asked if I bought a bunch could I get a discount. Without much thinking the guy said probably 10-15%. That is quite a savings, make sure you try and bargain for it. Going from $42ea to about $35 saves a lot if you are buying many.

howard
Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
John Kolody II

Profile:

Sarah,

The last time I priced stall mats from San Dimas Grain Co. they were $42.99+tax (4'x8') This would be over $2600 to cover 1800sqft if prices have not gone up. You would have to ask if there is a volume discount. You would need approx 60 to cover 1800sqft and account for waste if you space has some odd corners or ceiling supports to cut around.

Another area resource might be Ben's Foothill Fitness in Glendora, Ca on Grand Ave, north of Arrow Hwy. I have never asked the prices on gym flooring he has many samples, but he sells the 3/4" "fitness" mats also but they are steep compared to stall mats.

No time at work to google but in the past I found a supplier in Santa Ana or somewere in Orange county that sells playgound tiles, rolled rubber floor, recycle rubber mulch, all sorts of rubber related products for various indoor and outdoor groung covering. Do a google search for what you need.

I would shop local because of weight the 4x8 3/4" thick stall mats weigh close to 100 lbs. ea. any discount could be wiped out by shipping charges.

John
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Stall mats are 4'x6'x3/4" standard.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Two questions regarding a home made lifting platform:

1) Is there a good reason why you can't just use one piece of plywood and horsemats to make a lifting platform by simply laying the pieces next to each other on the garage floor? All the directions I have seen for home made lifting platform talk about building an elaborate platform using 4 pieces of plywood crisscrossed then nailed and glued together with another piece of plywood on top and the horsemats on the sides. It seems to me that it would be cheaper to just use one piece of plywood and horsemats and also more portable.

2) It appears 4'x6'x3/4" is standard for stall mats. Do they also come in 4'x8'x3/4" to match the same size as plywood.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post

1) Is there a good reason why you can't just use one piece of plywood and horsemats to make a lifting platform by simply laying the pieces next to each other on the garage floor? All the directions I have seen for home made lifting platform talk about building an elaborate platform using 4 pieces of plywood crisscrossed then nailed and glued together with another piece of plywood on top and the horsemats on the sides. It seems to me that it would be cheaper to just use one piece of plywood and horsemats and also more portable.

2) It appears 4'x6'x3/4" is standard for stall mats. Do they also come in 4'x8'x3/4" to match the same size as plywood.
To address question #1: I am a rookie to CF, but I have been doing the WOD in a guy's garage gym for about a month or so now and he has the same setup that you are describing. Just a peice of plywood in the middle of all the horse stall mats. It works great. No need for an elaborate contraption that is lifted off the ground. I think that you are seeing all of the directions for the "platform" because the alternative doesn't require directions.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post

i dont even have a lifting platform
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodside View Post
Just a peice of plywood in the middle of all the horse stall mats. It works great. No need for an elaborate contraption that is lifted off the ground.
Thanks Tom. Also, it appears a 4'x6' is standard for horse stall matting. So I am thinking I will cut the extra 2' off the top of the plywood to match the horse stall matting length and save the extra 2' for the floor in my power cage if I eventually purchase one.