CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Brandon Fleeman

Profile:
How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping.

With a 275K first place prize, I would assume some athletes are at least using testosterone. Athletes could use testosterone injections to train and qualify for the open, regional and world championship and simply cycle off the injections before the championship round or before and after the regional round if there is drug testing at regionals.

Is there any way to keep athletes from doing this? What kind of drug testing do they do at the games? At regionals?

Very interested to know if there is anyway to keep the integrity of this sport intact.

If most all the riders in the Tour de France can dope, surely there are people getting away with it in the Crossfit community.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

I'm not sure if you're allowed to talk about this on the crossfit.com site. This might get deleted. But I believe the drug testing policy is explained somewhere either on this site or on the games site. Try doing a little searching around because I know I've seen it posted before.

I would think that whatever Lance and the Tour de France guys took might also be a benefit for crossfit (endurance). I can't imagine that they test year round, but definitely before/during the games.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Paul Coomans

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Fleeman View Post
With a 275K first place prize, I would assume some athletes are at least using testosterone. Athletes could use testosterone injections to train and qualify for the open, regional and world championship and simply cycle off the injections before the championship round or before and after the regional round if there is drug testing at regionals.

Is there any way to keep athletes from doing this? What kind of drug testing do they do at the games? At regionals?

Very interested to know if there is anyway to keep the integrity of this sport intact.

If most all the riders in the Tour de France can dope, surely there are people getting away with it in the Crossfit community.
There's only testing at the games. So you have close to an entire year to do whatever you want.

I think it's safe to say this rather large window of opportunity is not left unused by all.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Charles Golden

Profile:

There's no doubt that if someone wanted to dope in CF and they had the means to purchase something synthetic, they could get away with anything they want. Drug testing is only at Regionals and the Games and it's only a **** test, so all of the designer stuff wouldn't be detected at all, whether they were cycling on and off or not.

That being said, I don't think the prize money is high enough yet to attract big money dopers. If a guy bought designer PEDs and won the Games, I don't think he'd be walking away with that much monetary gain. But that's just my opinion obviously, I've certainly never priced the stuff but I'd imagine it ain't cheap.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
There's no doubt that if someone wanted to dope in CF and they had the means to purchase something synthetic, they could get away with anything they want. Drug testing is only at Regionals and the Games and it's only a **** test, so all of the designer stuff wouldn't be detected at all, whether they were cycling on and off or not.

That being said, I don't think the prize money is high enough yet to attract big money dopers. If a guy bought designer PEDs and won the Games, I don't think he'd be walking away with that much monetary gain. But that's just my opinion obviously, I've certainly never priced the stuff but I'd imagine it ain't cheap.
People who just work out for fun and to look good take them all the time. I don't think it's as expensive as you say. I don't really know though
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post

Keep in mind that most top ~10 Games finishers have endorsement deals with clothing and supplement companies. And most are gym owners, so the added attention from their Games performance drives more business their way.

Even still, I agree that the pool of money is still too small to make it wildly profitable. If Games champs start showing up in primetime TV ads for Chevy and Nike and Red Bull it'll be a different story.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
There's only testing at the games. So you have close to an entire year to do whatever you want.

I think it's safe to say this rather large window of opportunity is not left unused by all.
You are wrong.
They test at Regionals and they test at the Games.
They also do out of contest testing.
For more info:

http://games.crossfit.com/drug-policy
wfs
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

An up and comer who no one knows about could hit a hard strength cycle and get majorly strong, then cycle off and do 4 months worth of conditioning and basically be gauranteed regionals though. They'll only test the top guys randomly through the year. Mr. Garage gym can do whatever he wants until he decides to compete though.

I think the real problem with some of that stuff though is if you cycle on and off properly you permanently alter your body. So maybe you did steroids 3 years ago and just found crossfit. Still gives you a leg up on everyone. But it is what it is.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
An up and comer who no one knows about could hit a hard strength cycle and get majorly strong, then cycle off and do 4 months worth of conditioning and basically be gauranteed regionals though. They'll only test the top guys randomly through the year. Mr. Garage gym can do whatever he wants until he decides to compete though.

I think the real problem with some of that stuff though is if you cycle on and off properly you permanently alter your body. So maybe you did steroids 3 years ago and just found crossfit. Still gives you a leg up on everyone. But it is what it is.
yep - that is definitely an issue.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
You are wrong.
They test at Regionals and they test at the Games.
They also do out of contest testing.
For more info:

http://games.crossfit.com/drug-policy
wfs
Not according to Dan Bailey: "There's no year round testing on anybody"

Watch from 4:30 for the exact quote. What it comes to is that it is very easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4OZyEXhCyY

WFS