CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Seeking “tricks” to stop the arm pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kemp View Post
Flex the wrist this will contract the muscles in your forearm which will make it very difficult for you to bend your elbows. Here is a video of Casey Burgener with still shots you can see the position of the wrists

Casey Burgener Snatch and C&J in still photos (WFS)
Have you actually tried this with nothing in your hands? You can still bend the elbows regardless of the position of your wrists. IMO, the wrists are only slightly curled as you begin your pull off the floor and in a neutral position throughout the rest of the pull. I see no "curl" in Casey's wrists in that vid.

I second lifting a little heavier as well as heavy pulls. Your internal cue should be "pull yourself under the bar" and not "turn the bar over"
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Clean pulls/snatch pulls. Focus on good position through the first and second pulls, exploding into triple extension, and don't worry about pulling under the bar or bending your arms.
This.

Work to two clean pulls followed by a clean.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I have helped people fix this through using the cue "turn the elbows out" (rotate your elbows laterally) and doing high-hang and hang work. Drilling pulls followed by lifts from the high-hang and hang position will help you capture the feeling of pulling under the bar without pulling with your arms.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Greg Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
Have you actually tried this with nothing in your hands? You can still bend the elbows regardless of the position of your wrists. IMO, the wrists are only slightly curled as you begin your pull off the floor and in a neutral position throughout the rest of the pull. I see no "curl" in Casey's wrists in that vid.

I second lifting a little heavier as well as heavy pulls. Your internal cue should be "pull yourself under the bar" and not "turn the bar over"
I have. It seems, to me, if you tense up your arms and try it when your wrists are hooked and your forearm is contracted it is more difficult to bend the elbow. Just what I get out of it. I have been coaching 13-14 year old kids to seniors in high school the O-lifts since 1997. We teach them to hook the wrists in their base position and to think of their arms as ropes and if we see the breaking of the arms we remind them of this. Coach Burgener was my club level coach when I got my cert in 97. I am sure I got this from him, but I could be wrong. I just know it has help our young lifters who all want to break their elbows early when they first start.

I do like the elbows out cue as well. One of the most common faults we see is not finishing the pull and the lifter trying to get under it too early. We do a lot of clean pulls and snatch pulls which does help work the base technique a lot.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kemp View Post
We teach them to hook the wrists in their base position and to think of their arms as ropes and if we see the breaking of the arms we remind them of this.This is how I coach it as well. However I doubt that hooking the wrists at the start has anything to do with not being able to bend the elbows since once you've pulled the bar off the floor, wrists naturally return to neutral.
I do like the elbows out cue as well. One of the most common faults we see is not finishing the pull and the lifter trying to get under it too early. We do a lot of clean pulls and snatch pulls which does help work the base technique a lot.This is probably the best training tool, especially if you work heavy enough that "pansy arms" won't be able to bend. IMO, it's more a matter of focusing on the hip extension to drive the bar up.
More important than focusing on how not to bend the arms, I think we should focus on the transition into the squat (third pull) Many people will try to turn the bar over with their arms, because they don't know how to transition quickly under the bar into a squat. Drop snatches, snatch balances, tall cleans and tall snatches would help with this. If you're slow you won't be able to perform these correctly even with lighter weights.