CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Michael Christian

Profile:
Rowing Suggestions

Ok, so I've read a ton about drag factor, damper settings, and technique. I'm far from great but am getting better. My question is this, my friend suggested I up my damper from a 4 to 8 because I am decently strong(500 deadlift, 365 front squat) and short(5'8 205#).

So for the past 3 months I've done a 2k test to see any differences. I did a 2k row at 4 damper and hit 7:38, 5 = 7:41, 7 = 7:07, 8 = 7:02. But I've also greatly improved my technique in this time. My aerobic fitness is decent, ran first mile of Murph in 6:05 in 20# vest, so I was was wondering if maybe the improvement in technique and fitness I would be better to pull at a 4 again as 8 I hit muscle fatigue and nowhere near the aerobic fatigue I was getting at 4.

My tabata rowing has improved too hitting 1104m at 8 while my best at 4 was 990. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Rowing Suggestions

Why not some of the numbers in between 4 and 8?

If you're hitting muscular fatigue at 8, clearly you need to lower the damper. But that doesn't mean you need to go all the way to 4. I'm happy at 5 or 6, and you're much stronger than me.

Katherine
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Michael Christian

Profile:

At 8 it was the last 500m that it seemed like I just couldn't push any harder and increasing my spm only made me do more work for the same distance. I was able to keep it between 1:40-1:45 almost the whole time.

I stuck with 8 b/c I did the drag factor test from the post awhile back and that was my most efficent between 4-10.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Remember that 4 on one rower's damper could equal 8 on another. I crank the damper up to 10 on the C2s at my on-base gym and the drag factor is STILL lower than when I row at 4-5 at my affiliate.

It really depends on technique, muscular endurance, and length of the piece. Generally I reduce the damper a bit if I'm doing a 1K or 2K.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Struan Potter

Profile:

It depends on the rower, but the ideal drag factor for 'boat on water' feel is 135. On the monitor go to options, select more options, then display drag factor. The damper setting won't be the same for each rower to get the same drag factor, so you may need to fiddle around with it to get it right.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Jason Peacock

Profile:

You're trying to optimize to early - seriously, it doesn't matter that much at this point (1:40 splits for a 500m).

Set the damper at same setting every time (consistency is key), on my crew team team we'd always set it at 6 for everyone regardless of their strength differences. (men's heavyweight team)

If you're a lightweight/woman then setting the damper lower will have benefits, but again it's a trap to optimize too early.

My suggestion for better rowing, beside improved technique is to practice developing power at low stroke rates (spm). Row at 18-20spm, pulling hard on each stroke with a slow relaxed recovery. Focus on this for all your next workouts - low stroke rate, hard pull. Also, pick a target split for your pieces and stick with it - no faster/slower. For example, the next 500m you choose to do 1:40 - make every stroke be exactly 1:40. Again, consistency is key As you get better you can start worrying about strategy, damper settings, etc...