CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Seth Utter

Profile:
Re: Martial Arts on top of crossfit?

Well nailing the hard bag with my toe the first day, I was definitely sore. Luckily I didn't break anything in my foot. Today my right calf/ankle/shin felt like it was going to give at any moment, and my head aches from hitting it a bunch of times on forward and backward rolls.

I love it.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
David Melrose

Profile:

Skill work first.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Thank you for expanding my international vocabulary.

I cant wait to use the word knackered.

Back on topic:

Adjust to the MA training first, then supplement CF on off days as you feel necessary to continue fitness progression.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Adam Drake

Profile:

I do CrossFit or other conditioning and BJJ/MT 5 days per week. If you can't finish any WOD as rx'd then I'd work up to it but after that it's no big deal.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Michael Snyder

Profile:

I do my CrossFit workouts three days with my classes at CF Old Town in Alexandria, VA and two days on my own with other fighters form our school before I begin my Muay Thai training. So I am on a five on and two off schedule with CF, but a 4 day a week schedule with Muay Thai. I'll use an off day for CF to do bag/pad workout and shin conditioning. Closer to my fight I scale down the weights and concentrate more on metcon with my CF workouts. Then I take the week prior off from CF and only do light sparring, pad/bag work.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
Yael Grauer

Profile:

What I do is I'll do the weight portion of a workout on the same day as MMA, before class if at all possible. I've found I don't get sore until the next day and I've read you burn more calories if you do your weight work first. I also try not to kill myself; I just lift at maybe 80% for maintenance. Then I'll do MMA. Then if I didn't get a good workout because we were focusing on skillwork or I got partnered with someone new or whatever I'll do more metcon afterwards. I also don't lift if I'm sore and I don't do metcon if I'm so tired that I'm about to pass out or something. lol

Oh yeah. Keep jerky, dried fruit and maybe some snack bars in your car if you've got limited glycogen stores.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Sean Ploskina

Profile:

If you have no experience in MA then start very slow. Alternating days and be aware of the worklod you are doing in MA, stacking MA conditioning on top of Crossfit can put too much strain on your body. Once you are used to your MA training you can do follow the WOD and MA in the same day. I prefer to do the WOD first then go to jiu-jitsu or Muay Thai. Especially for jiu-jitsu being tired has helped me refine my techniques.

Also the mental toughness that comes from pushing through a hard WOD translates into a great motor when you roll or spar. Once you've done Linda a three minute sparring round or five minute jiu-jitsu roll seems like a cakewalk.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
David Bittner

Profile:

I started crossfit to help me with Tae Kwon Do, and it has. You just have to know how to incorporate adequate rest. I don't do a WOD with heavy leg involvement on days I do TKD AND ACTUALLY THROW SOME KICKS INTO MY WALKING LUNGES IN MY WOD'S!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
Shawn Vicknair

Profile:

It depends on what your priority is. If your priority is to become a BJJ champion then you need to put more emphasis on your BJJ. If you want to just learn how to defend yourself alittle and add to your overall general fitness, then it's not terrible to do them back to back. Your family and work schedule determines much of what your training schedule will be. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

Boy, I could have used this thread last week! I have been training BJJ for many years and added CF about 18 months ago to supplement it. (I'm now equally addicted to CF).

I struggle constantly with how much work to do and how much rest to get. The problem is that both CF and BJJ are so incredibly fun (if you think taxing yourself to your physical, mental, and psychological limits is fun, which I suspect we all do), so I want to do them a lot. But I had been pushing too hard for too long, and my body finally rebelled; I'm pretty sick right now and I seriously think my left arm is angry at me (it refused recently to straighten at the top of thrusters and was the first thing to give out in a double-unders workout).

So now I'm planning on paying serious attention to rest. I'm thinking it's going to be trial and error till I find the right balance of pushing hard enough but not too hard. Becca, who posts here, is my teacher, and she suggested that each Sunday I write out my planned workouts, both CF and BJJ, for the week. Not only will that help me book rest days into my schedule, but it will help me find that balance.

Rest and diet. For me they are the hardest part of the fitness equation!