CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #231
Stu Christensen
Member Stu Christensen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon  SK Canada
Posts: 864
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
I guess I do Having not used anything beyond whey and creatine, I don't know enough about the 'heavier' PEDs
I agree with Andrew, if you don't know, you shouldn't be in the discussion. IMO.

I have held off posting for a few days trying to see what everyone's thoughts are. There are a lot of people in here saying its cheating, and that's true according to the rules set forth. However, if people think that sports are clean because the rules say so and doing it is cheating, then please understand that most likely +90% of your favorite athletes are cheaters. Seriously. I have friends in professional sports and can say first hand that almost all "cheat".

Also, steroids HAVE been around for 50+ years... heck, dbol was taken like smarties in the 60's and 70's. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #232
Adam Carlson
Member Adam Carlson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Higashikurume  Tokyo
Posts: 833
Re: Final games thoughts

Point taken. I don't know the details as clearly as many on this thread, but I am doing what I can to learn about them. Not for using them myself, but for actually being able to make sense of what is true out there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #233
Michael Kelley
Member Michael Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach  VA
Posts: 317
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
I agree with Andrew, if you don't know, you shouldn't be in the discussion. IMO.

I have held off posting for a few days trying to see what everyone's thoughts are. There are a lot of people in here saying its cheating, and that's true according to the rules set forth. However, if people think that sports are clean because the rules say so and doing it is cheating, then please understand that most likely +90% of your favorite athletes are cheaters. Seriously. I have friends in professional sports and can say first hand that almost all "cheat".

Also, steroids HAVE been around for 50+ years... heck, dbol was taken like smarties in the 60's and 70's. lol
I don't know about percentages, but I know a lot of them are cheating. The only solution is the nuclear bomb of sanctions - the lifetime ban. One positive test at any level of competition becomes a lifetime ban at all levels. That sets up the opposite incentive to the one that exists today - that is, do whatever you can to be uber-clean. No accidents with cough syrum (insert eye roll here), no "I didn't know what that cream was." None of that nonsense. Stay clean or step aside for someone who is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #234
Adam Carlson
Member Adam Carlson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Higashikurume  Tokyo
Posts: 833
Re: Final games thoughts

which will then set up a whole slew of new versions of Tanya Hardings - lace opponent's foods with things that will trip tests, and boom, competition out of the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #235
Ryan Hoegner
Affiliate Ryan Hoegner is offline
 
Ryan Hoegner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Corona  CA
Posts: 783
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I don't know about percentages, but I know a lot of them are cheating. The only solution is the nuclear bomb of sanctions - the lifetime ban. One positive test at any level of competition becomes a lifetime ban at all levels. That sets up the opposite incentive to the one that exists today - that is, do whatever you can to be uber-clean. No accidents with cough syrum (insert eye roll here), no "I didn't know what that cream was." None of that nonsense. Stay clean or step aside for someone who is.
The banned substance list would have to be very clear at that point. A couple
members of the CFNE affiliate team tested "positive" a couple years ago for something found in jacked energy drink.
__________________
www.CrossFit714.com
Orange, CA
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #236
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I don't know about percentages, but I know a lot of them are cheating. The only solution is the nuclear bomb of sanctions - the lifetime ban. One positive test at any level of competition becomes a lifetime ban at all levels. That sets up the opposite incentive to the one that exists today - that is, do whatever you can to be uber-clean. No accidents with cough syrum (insert eye roll here), no "I didn't know what that cream was." None of that nonsense. Stay clean or step aside for someone who is.
Or for someone who's national federation is more corrupt?

As it stands now, there are vast differences in enforcement, even within sports that nominally have uniform rules. Even assuming there were some sort of international consensus -- which there isn't -- the testing regime you describe would require an enormous budget that simply isn't going to happen.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #237
Stu Christensen
Member Stu Christensen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon  SK Canada
Posts: 864
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I don't know about percentages, but I know a lot of them are cheating. The only solution is the nuclear bomb of sanctions - the lifetime ban. One positive test at any level of competition becomes a lifetime ban at all levels. That sets up the opposite incentive to the one that exists today - that is, do whatever you can to be uber-clean. No accidents with cough syrum (insert eye roll here), no "I didn't know what that cream was." None of that nonsense. Stay clean or step aside for someone who is.
You're still assuming that what they're taking can be tested for, which is NOT the case all the time. Remember, you can't test positive for what the testing body doesn't know exists.

Also, like I mentioned before...pay attention to athlete interviews and such when discussing PED's. Notice that athletes will 99% of the time say "I've never tested positive for PED's" and NOT "I've never taken PED's". This is very critical in remembering and there is a very definitive reason they choose the words they do. Believe me.

I'm not condoning the use of PED's in sport. I used PED's a LONG time ago, and believe me it helps...a lot. lol But still, those who think ANY sport with money, recognition, or fame on the line is clean, no matter NFL, NHL, MLB, NLL, MLS, Olympics, etc, is NOT. The degree in which that sport is not clean is just a marker on the level to which people receive the recognition (via fame, money etc).

Joe Public has no idea, and that's fine, but those that believe sports are clean, have been in the dark for nearly 50 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #238
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Final games thoughts

I do not want to detract from the discussion, but I think y'all may find the following amusing:

I just got back from a trip where I got the opportunity to hang out with my mom for a few days. I've not seen her in over a year, and one night she asked my wife, behind my back, if I was on steroids. My mother knew little about my training and nutrition prior to her asking the question, but we were able to discus it in detail over the next few days.

I had to laugh a little bit... but even at 40 years old, just by focusing on the big lifts in my programming, and eating more daily, I have put on about 15#, and very little of it is fat. Apparently it was enough that my own mother is questioning if I am on something.

carry on...
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #239
Michael Kelley
Member Michael Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach  VA
Posts: 317
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Or for someone who's national federation is more corrupt?

As it stands now, there are vast differences in enforcement, even within sports that nominally have uniform rules. Even assuming there were some sort of international consensus -- which there isn't -- the testing regime you describe would require an enormous budget that simply isn't going to happen.

Katherine
No doubt, but it is do-able in major sports. They do it in cycling with worldwide in and out of season testing. That said, even that organization needs to do better about testing the testers. Floyd Landis ultimately admitted to cheating, but it was pretty clear that the lab who handled his samples screwed up nearly every single step in handling his samples. They have to do better. How to fund it? It would have to come out of the bottom line of the major sport involved. For CF, it would simply have to start with broad spectrum testing at the games. That wouldn't stop cheating in October to build the base for next year, but it would be a start. Reebok can afford it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
You're still assuming that what they're taking can be tested for, which is NOT the case all the time. Remember, you can't test positive for what the testing body doesn't know exists.

Also, like I mentioned before...pay attention to athlete interviews and such when discussing PED's. Notice that athletes will 99% of the time say "I've never tested positive for PED's" and NOT "I've never taken PED's". This is very critical in remembering and there is a very definitive reason they choose the words they do. Believe me.
No doubt, that's a challenge. All you can do is test for what you know about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #240
David Baxter
Member David Baxter is offline
 
David Baxter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Perth  West Australia
Posts: 217
Re: Final games thoughts

the real question is - do Reebok/ CFHQ WANT to dope test the top athletes - atm they ( the athletes) look great and perform awesomely - taking away the PED's would decrease both their performance and aesthetics - would it be prudent for the top ppl this year to have a pos PED test ( if they are using) and have to hand back the winner cheque - plus the back lash that the other fitness industry naySayers would have with that type of publicity would be incredible ----- just my 2c
__________________
You have to discipline yourself, and through this discipline will come some level of achievement, and from this achievement will come your pride.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit Games Fraud - What are your thoughts Joe Cebulski Competitions 29 07-30-2011 05:40 AM
My Thoughts on the 2009 Crossfit Games Desmond Pegrum Competitions 23 01-06-2010 08:36 PM
If you were at the Games on the Final Day... HELP ME! Bob Guere Stuff and Nonsense 0 07-28-2009 12:23 PM
2009 Games Final WOD question James Moran Workout of the Day 1 07-17-2009 07:42 PM
CrossFit Games final workout John Klessinger Workout of the Day 8 07-15-2009 08:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.