CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #71
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
Re: 11.4 Any guesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post

Limiting the time for warm-ups before a max attempt would both increase power output of the athlete during the workout and raise awareness of muscle, tendon and ligament tears.
CJ...I am not advocating any kind of WOD that would induce injury by any means. If you had looked at the Masters WOD (http://crossfitexcel.com/Masters/?page_id=403 wfs, apologize for not providing link earlier) that I referenced, you might have actually replied with some amount of usefull information.

Do ever post anything that is of any use or do you just enjoy being a troll?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #72
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
CJ...I am not advocating any kind of WOD that would induce injury by any means. If you had looked at the Masters WOD (http://crossfitexcel.com/Masters/?page_id=403 wfs, apologize for not providing link earlier) that I referenced, you might have actually replied with some amount of usefull information.

Do ever post anything that is of any use or do you just enjoy being a troll?
My idea behind this (the CFT, not the troll) is that If you have a set of rules for something like this, then there is always going to be someone who breaks them. How about you level the playing field for everyone and say "no rules." If someone wants to take 10 hours to get a max lift, let them. If everyone can take as long as they want, then no one has an advantage.

If they did put a 10 minute time cap on this workout, you know what I would do? I'd "redo" the workout probably 6 times.. in a row. Do heavier and heavier "warm ups" until I'm actually ready to get my max lift in on my last "try" at this workout.

There is no fool-proof way to do the CFT or any 1RM lift in the sectionals open. I doubt they're going to do a 1RM anyways.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #73
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I am not sure if we will see a 1RM lift in the Open. It could be tough for the guys doing the WoD on camera, they'd have to show all the weight to the camera...possibly change angles etc...

If a pure strength event did come up, my guess is it would piggy back on an AMRAP. ie. AMRAP triplet in 12min. followed by 3min. to get 1RM bench/squat/overhead etc...

As for the remaining Open WoDs, we havent seen thrusters, wall-balls, toes to bar, pull-pups (of any kind) or kettlebell swings. I am thinking we will see all of these in the next two weeks.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #74
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
As for the remaining Open WoDs, we havent seen thrusters, wall-balls, toes to bar, pull-pups (of any kind) or kettlebell swings. I am thinking we will see all of these in the next two weeks.
The 165lb C+J was really a thruster (for a lot of people).

I agree with the TTB and pullups.. definitely long overdue.

KB- not sure. I know our gym would be way short on equipment if the KB came up. And I hate them, so hoping they don't appear.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #75
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
The 165lb C+J was really a thruster (for a lot of people).

I agree with the TTB and pullups.. definitely long overdue.

KB- not sure. I know our gym would be way short on equipment if the KB came up. And I hate them, so hoping they don't appear.
The KB Swing can be tough to judge (the russian swing wouldn't be so hard)...and wallball targets would be a pain to show as standardized...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #76
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Easy fix....clock starts when weight of any type is placed on bar. Warm up are considered attempts.
....(snip).....
Of course, this would require a bit of integrity....
Not to beat a dead horse, but my point is unless you're at an affiliate, you can't know what a guy or gal did prior to the camera being set to record. As such, you can't reasonably set an online rule that calls on intergrity. Not just for the ones that don't have it doing the WOD, but for those keyboard warriors that cry fowl at every little thing. At regionals or the finals, then no problem.

As for incorporating some type of pure strength WOD, everyone's posting some good ideas. I like having 3 lifts such as the CFT cause you get good breakout with total scores. However, I think there has to be a fatique element so that stronger guys like me that are lacking in many other areas don't dominate.

I posted it before, but basically an athlete has 5 minutes do 50 reps at a weight of his choice, he then has the remaining time to attempt a 1rm but is limited to a max of twice the weight he used during the 50 reps. Ex: He puts 150# on bar, does 50 reps of squats in 3 minutes, he then has 2 minutes left to do a 1rm up to 300#. Allow a minute rest then repeat with deadlift and press. There's some other rules covering reducing the weight or not getting 50 reps. Also helps since the reps are tied to a weight which can be the score if at least 30 but not 50 reps are completed. Some major planning on weight scheme will be needed for such a WOD.

Personally, so long as there's something that's used to fatique the athlete, then 1rm are cool. We saw the problem in '09 when there was a 90 minute recovery time prior to the deadlift, whereas the long helen was connected straight to the overhead press in '10.

Last edited by Charles Applin : 04-18-2011 at 06:47 PM.