CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: is a serious injury with crossfit inevitable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
Coach: "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks."

As others have pointed out, it's not inevitable (in fact it's probably less likely because of the variation and functional movements), but this stuff is intense so there is a very real chance of injury. You need to be comfortable with that.
Edit. UGH. Never mind. it's not even worth it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Coach: "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks."
i had to read the post down to find out who greg glassman is and that he's the guy you were referring to in this quote by the term coach. i have to agree that is a seriously stupid statement, especially from a guy whose own commitment to crossfit can be deemed questionable at best.

i'm 33, i wrestled competitively many moons ago and accepted injury and pain as part of the sport and a sacrifice that needed to be made to be good. but now i'm just looking to be all around fit and not spend two hours in the gym doing it. i have no desire to put myself into surgery over my fitness regimen.

i substituted dead lifts for power cleans, i'm going to stay away from cleans for a bit and then only go very light until my shoulders feel better. i also spend at least 15 minutes warming up, paying close attention to get my shoulders warm.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i had to read the post down to find out who greg glassman is and that he's the guy you were referring to in this quote by the term coach. i have to agree that is a seriously stupid statement
Not sure which part of that statement is more disturbing -- that you didn't even know who Coach is, or that you think he is "seriously stupid."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
especially from a guy whose own commitment to crossfit can be deemed questionable at best.
Really, you think his commitment to CrossFit is questionable? He created this, if it wasn't for him we woudn't be here on this message board having this discussion.

And I wouldn't discount his fitness, either. As he said: "I was the original CrossFitter and I can, at 49, still outperform more CrossFitters than not."
(http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001021.html) (safe)

That was a few years back, but I am sure he can still outperform more than not.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Not sure which part of that statement is more disturbing -- that you didn't even know who Coach is, or that you think he is "seriously stupid."

Really, you think his commitment to CrossFit is questionable? He created this, if it wasn't for him we woudn't be here on this message board having this discussion.

And I wouldn't discount his fitness, either. As he said: "I was the original CrossFitter and I can, at 49, still outperform more CrossFitters than not."

You don't really believe that do you?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

At 49? I don't think it's an assertion that I'd accept without proof. Let's see how he does in the Masters division at this year's Games.

Katherine
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Sara Thomas

Profile:

I don't have anything to say in all of these "is or isn't Coach a wonder-being" discussions, but I think this quote from him at the very end of the link Eric sent was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time:

"We have a therapy for injuries here at CrossFit called STFU." --Coach

Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Thomas View Post
I don't have anything to say in all of these "is or isn't Coach a wonder-being" discussions, but I think this quote from him at the very end of the link Eric sent was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time:

"We have a therapy for injuries here at CrossFit called STFU." --Coach

Hopefully anyone who works out or trains others knows better than to put any stock in statements like that.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
i didn't even know who the guy was so i definitely wouldn't say he is stupid, i wouldn't call anyone stupid. i do think that quote was a stupid thing to say though.

Quote:
Really, you think his commitment to CrossFit is questionable?
my understanding is he doesn't do the WOD's or really work out at all, so his commitment could be called questionable (from the fitness and injury risk perspective, not the business side of the house).
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Sara Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Hopefully anyone who works out or trains others knows better than to put any stock in statements like that.

Yes, of course. I would never take it literally, but c'mon, it's pretty funny.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #20
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:

As others have pointed out, it's not inevitable (in fact it's probably less likely because of the variation and functional movements), but this stuff is intense so there is a very real chance of injury. You need to be comfortable with that.
1) No
2) I hope you're not a trainer
3) I REALLY hope you're not an affiliate

To the OP-

Is a serious injury inevitable? Absolutely not.

Learn how to listen to what your body is telling you. Do your homework in terms of mobility and warming up properly.
Learn the movements properly, and don't be too anxious to step outside your ability too quickly.
And of course, be weary of taking advice from people who use "Uncle Rhabdo" as an avatar.