CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #91
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
Charles...I think it's time for an intervention here...we really DO care about you because it appears you may belong to a cuh-...cuhl-...I can't bring myself to say it...the non-standard CrossFit stuff you mentioned are called activities by the rest of the free world. Now you're talking like everything is a version of CrossFit, and if everything is CrossFit, then nothing is CrossFit.
They may be "activities", but I recall there being televised competitions involving crossing tall objects (high jump, pole vault), swimming (olympics), log cutting (espn 8 I think), etc. So there are some people out there that view these activities can be competitive in nature.

CrossFit, based on my understanding, is about trying to be better on average at everything physical. Kind of the like the mental equivalent we call General Knowledge aka kicking a** at Jeopardy and Trivial Pursuit. So yes, CrossFit must involve everything physical to a certain degree.

Quote:
As far as credence goes, I don't think televising a swim meet or bike race where the participants are floundering among banners reading "Forging Elite Fitness" will help validate anything positive. However, showing the world a Fran contest would be pretty awesome, except for the negative backlash from viewers when they see a kipping pullup for the first time.
Credence for CrossFit? Who cares about that? We're talking about finding the most physically fit persons out there. Now, in my mind (thanks to that cuh-...cuhl-...CrossFit concept), that means test a large cross section of the population in a variety of random physical "activities". The best on average at those tests is the most physically fit. Glassman thinks it'll be a CrossFitter (and quite of few of the round table at Tahoe think the same). I would love to see more than just "CrossFitters" try out for this, but not the case at the moment. Bound to get better as time goes on.

Now, if you want only the best CrossFitter, then just post top scores of "Beyond the Whiteboard" and be done. Hell, most of those scores have videos backing them up. However, even the EARLIEST articles of CrossFit journals talk about random tasks like digging holes and filling buckets with sand are accomplished better with a crossfitter than someone specializing in Marathons or Bodybuilding.

Now, we can avoid the floundering guys in water by incorporating couplets and triplets. Doing a 3 rounds of 50m swim, 15x 95# thrusters and carrying 75# sandbags 50m for time will be more amazing with a CrossFitter than Michael Phelps. If it's just 800m swim for time then Phelps would make anyone other than Olympic swimmers look like morons.

Trust me, watching a long Helen pyramid of last year shocked my wife who is a marathon runner. The running was really slow comparatively, but combined with pull-ups and kb swings made it elite and entertaining to watch.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #92
Lucas King

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
At the 5m mark, he says that regionals will be filled by people from the region. I'm kind of for it, but I think they can make the following exception:
If you're in the top 100 in the open sectionals, you have up to a week choose your regional. Yes, if a guy from California in the top 100 feels he'll have a better chance making the finals by flying to the Asian regionals and competing then so be it. That guy displaced in the Asian regional can opt to fill in the open spot at California.

Sounds rough, but I doubt it'll affect many. Plus, it allows the option of spreading the most fit around the globe. Again, I'm assuming that some regions will be over-represented by the top 100 sectionals. If that's not the case, well, not many will choose a farther away region to compete anyway.
Sorry but thats a bad idea. Do you honestly think that would work? They want to develop talent in other countries. There is a reason why the olympics and the world championships in every sport in the world have qualifications in different areas. Its so you can get diverse group of people and give them an incentive to grow and compete. Also Im pretty sure this was actually addressed in a video or comment at one point by CFHQ.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #93
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas King View Post
Sorry but thats a bad idea. Do you honestly think that would work? They want to develop talent in other countries. There is a reason why the olympics and the world championships in every sport in the world have qualifications in different areas. Its so you can get diverse group of people and give them an incentive to grow and compete. Also Im pretty sure this was actually addressed in a video or comment at one point by CFHQ.
It was addressed in the very video and time I referenced. He even mentions the Jamaican bobsled situation to point out the extreme situations of such events.

There's no easy solution here, so pretty much every idea offered is a bad idea. Do you do like what the Olympics and US Senate do, where every country or state has equal representation regardless of the population of the areas? Do you do like what CrossFit Games and US House of Representatives currently do and have representation based on population?

It's kind of why I offered a compromise. Only the top 10% (100 people) from sectionals get a chance to choose location of regions. Most likely they won't want to choose a far end location that requires 12 to 24 hours worth of travel time, but at least they have that option. If these guys fly to Asia, South America, Africa, etc and still beat out or are beat by regional competitors from that area, then by golly you have top contenders for fitness at the games.

Worst case scenario if not: The top 100 people are all sent to two regionals. Then 13 regionals field 101 through 900, then the final 100 are in two last regionals. At the games, you most likely have the top six elite versus moderate elite 39 versus lower elite six leading to a mediocre games where the top six are pretty much predetermined. Yeah, you might get your top guy from that six, but remember Holmberg finished 3rd at regionals last year BY ONE POINT in a very tight competition!

So yes, spread Regionals around the globe to increase visibility and participation, but at least open the option for the top performers to be spread around the globe also. A bit more parliamentary that represents the world and best.

PS: Again, this is assuming that sectional placement is indicative of performance at regionals and the finals. Compare that theory to the Master results from last year where placement at Regionals averaged within 2.9 absolute to placement at finals.