CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Sport Science Lab For Everyone!!

Troy Polamalu with Sport Science Lab (wfs)

A trainer from the globo-gym I used to work at recently posted this...and the following conversation ensued.

Jay - Olympic lifts are slow??? The snatch is the most explosive lift there is. I think he's talking about powerlifting.

Carter - I'm not sure that Olympic lifts take the longevity of joints and connective tissue into full consideration.

Jay - neither does football....

Carter - Which is why it might be a good idea to train with a slight degree of injury prevention?
So your argument and basic philosophical stance is equivalent to the theory that we're all gonna die anyway, so we might as well play Russian Roulette.

Jay - Hahaha no no no. In fact that is opposite my views. I suppose I should have said, LESS than football. The incidence of injury is quite low in oly lifters and I'd hardly call it russian roullette. My original point was that was he said we completely backward. Second point was that of all sports football does not take into account longevity.
Football players do typically get tested on their power clean as well.

Then he posted this.
"This ones for you Jay"

I give up! Sport Science Lab for everyone!

Edit: Definitely the wrong forum. Admin could you move it to "Stuff and Non-Sense" please?

Last edited by Jay Rhodes : 02-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Sport Science Lab For Everyone!!

You should have just posted a video of any of the numerous, crippling injuries caused by football. I'm pretty sure that there is a higher percentage of injury in football players than there are in Olympic Lifters. His argument is ridiculous. And so were all the moves in that Polamalu video...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
You should have just posted a video of any of the numerous, crippling injuries caused by football. I'm pretty sure that there is a higher percentage of injury in football players than there are in Olympic Lifters. His argument is ridiculous. And so were all the moves in that Polamalu video...
I think it was a little more defensive than anything....
In all fairness, the "working from the ground up" theory isn't a bad idea at all in terms of rehab/preventative measures. The body does compensate and it can become a cascade effect. It doesn't mean that type of training would make you sport-ready for anything let alone american football!

To me it looks more like a rehab thing, like a physiotherapy office. I wasn't trying to put it down, I just wanted to comment that what Troy said about the O-lifts was contradictory.
But really, could you imagine this being used in place of a S&C program for Div I schools? I don't buy it.

What got me going was the jump to "my philosophical stance being equivalent to russian roulette" LOL, Sorry I think I missed something there.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Yeah, it certainly would be an effective program for rehab but as you say, training for the NFL or college football.... I don't see it. And the fact that someone would say Oly lifts are slow... dumb. Haha.