CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Competition Pullups

I went to Superfit in Charlottesville last weekend to watch a friend compete and all of the pullups in the competition were chest to bar. I'm at a NASA facility with a low ceiling in the gym and can't really do chest to bar or else there will be some nice holes in the ceiling tiles. I'm looking at competing in the Virginia Sports Expo "Team Grit" competition in February and am worried about never having done chest to bar pullups.

Is this a standard in all competitions now?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Competition Pullups

You should be worried. Not only will you lose the competition in Virginia, but you will lose at life.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

If I lose, then you lose. It's a parter competition.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

So far every CF competition I have been to has had chest to bar but I have seen others with chin over. Chest to bar is easier to judge I guess. Have you thought about taking the ceiling tiles out then replacing them afterwards, I done this in my gym.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Depends on who is holding the competition and the standards they set.

At the South Central Regionals last year, we had both chest-to-bar and chin-over-bar pullup requirements.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you never practice CTB you'll never get competent at them, regardless of how many chin over bar you can do. Aside from having to pull an extra 6" on ROM the kipping rhythm is quite a bit different. I would recommend doing some GTG on CTBs anytime you run across a free-standing bar or one with a high ceiling...that'll be better than nothing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
So far every CF competition I have been to has had chest to bar but I have seen others with chin over. Chest to bar is easier to judge I guess. Have you thought about taking the ceiling tiles out then replacing them afterwards, I done this in my gym.
I thought about this, but the only spot that they have a straight bar has a light over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you never practice CTB you'll never get competent at them, regardless of how many chin over bar you can do. Aside from having to pull an extra 6" on ROM the kipping rhythm is quite a bit different. I would recommend doing some GTG on CTBs anytime you run across a free-standing bar or one with a high ceiling...that'll be better than nothing.
Challenge accepted.