CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Jared Pollock

Profile:
SealFit/MilitaryAthlete vs. Crossfit

I am currently in the military and training for special operations. I have been doing crossfit for a little over 6 months and have seen great results by way of strength gain, but had to add running and rucking to my workouts. I recently came accross sealfit and military athlete and their workouts look intense, but I wonder if it is to much. What does Coach Glassman think about their programming? I think I am going to try a few WODs and see how my body reacts. Looking for a little advice or perspective on the issue. Also, SEALs are by far the most fit special operators. What does Dave Castro think?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Brent Eno

Profile:
Re: SealFit/MilitaryAthlete vs. Crossfit

I'm training for pararescue, and I've been Crossfitting for about 3 years. I did Sealfit for about two months. I liked it, but I think it is a little too much. The workouts would take between 1-2.5 hours, from warm-up to final stretching. Most people on here will say less is more, especially when heavy lifting is involved.

I pick and choose. Some days, I'll do a heavy lift followed by a mainsite wod, or maybe a crossfit football wod. Other days, I'll work on a focus, like olympic lifts, rucking, swimming, or running. And, rarely, I might do a full Seafit wod.

If you really like Sealfit, I would probably start doing them every other day, then do some light running or swimming on off days. Overtraining is a very real possibility, and you need to be careful.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Have you looked into Stew Smith's (former SEAL) BUD/s book or other spec ops based training books?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Cody Whittington

Profile:

I would say if you're looking at Army special operations (Rangers, SF) then MilitaryAthlete.com is a good way to go. If you already have a class date for SF assesment (I think it's called this) then they will provide an "Operator" work out designed to give you a good taste of your readiness for Special Operations. SealFit is pretty intense in all the right ways, just depends on your goals. Like anything else.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Richard Guerard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Pollock View Post
I am currently in the military and training for special operations. I have been doing crossfit for a little over 6 months and have seen great results by way of strength gain, but had to add running and rucking to my workouts. I recently came accross sealfit and military athlete and their workouts look intense, but I wonder if it is to much. What does Coach Glassman think about their programming? I think I am going to try a few WODs and see how my body reacts. Looking for a little advice or perspective on the issue. Also, SEALs are by far the most fit special operators. What does Dave Castro think?
I have military aspirations as well and have been following sealfit religiously for almost a year. I had played around with crossfit for about 4-5 months beforehand, but I didnt experiment with crossfit for 1-2 years beforehand like some others. However, I have seen great gains in strength (max effort lifts), work capacity, and endurance. The most impressive gains have been in the latter.

Sealfit frequently programming metcons in the 20-30 min range (sometimes longer), but I believe this is done intentionally to lengthen one's work capacity. I also think that once you hit 25+ mins, you find out how mentally tough you really are.

Your body will adjust to the volume if you are consistent with the workouts after 2-4 months.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
I'm training for pararescue, and I've been Crossfitting for about 3 years. I did Sealfit for about two months. I liked it, but I think it is a little too much. .
Haha take whatever you know about BUD/s and multiply it. However bad you think it is, its worse. I know the person I am quoting is not going to BUD/s but pararescue is no joke either.

With that being said the only thing you can do is prepare as much as possible. Because honestly in the end it comes down to how bad you want it. I have seen some of the fittest guys who can crush SEALfit workouts ring out after a month or two. There is no formula for BUD/s train hard and dont even acknowledge the fact that you can DOR.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

My brother washed out of Ranger training from the running. He said they did hella long and fast runs with boots, and he was one in shape dude (minus the drinking. ) Don't know if that will help ya.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Jared Pollock

Profile:

Thanks for all your help guys. I have been through SFAS. Thankfully successful. I used a mix of MiliAthlete and Crossfit Programming. The only issue I have with MiliAthlete is the running. Running is huge no matter what school I have went to from Selection to Ranger School. The Sealfit programming doesn't seam to fall short in that catagory. I am looking to be able to perform at any course be-it BUDS, the Long Walk, a deployment, or a triathalon. Oh yeah and for the military guys, it is always hard to follow zone/paleo due to lack of choice, so I personally don't diet. I just try to stay healthy. Think I will try SEAL FIT for about a month to see how my body reacts. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Jared Pollock

Profile:

Also for you SealFit guys. Check out brassringtraining.com by Coach Ord. I believe he has ties to USTactical.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Congrats on your acheivements and thank you.

Just out of curiosity, did SFAS or Ranger School suck more than the other? I'm sure they probably had their own ways of suckage.