CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #41
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Re: The masters competition is a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Bingo, I'm sure you didn't mean to go down the route of "Who Shall Be Called a CrossFitter" and "Who Shall Not" by virtue of accomplishment of movements?

"Elite CrossFitter" "CrossFit Games competitor" "CrossFit Ninja" -- I can see that categorization, but just "CrossFitter" . . .
Quite the contrary. A more accurate reading of my posts would reveal that the "wide open end of the funnel" would allow MORE Crossfitters to compete at the Sectional level..

--bingo
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #42
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

But it's always fun to try to catch you, Bingo!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #43
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

FWIW, I think the idea of adding the Masters' Competition to the games this year was fantastic. It doesn't matter much about a person's age or capabilities as a CrossFitter, the mere fact that one tries and succeeds, by whatever measure and be it however small, they have accomplished the goal of CrossFit, to improve their strength and conditioning and explore the "realm" of elite fitness. If they do well enough and can place in the Regionals, they go on....

I'll be sixty this year, and hope I am in good enough shape I can be competitive against all the firebreathers out there in my age group. I am one of those who does not have (yet) a muscle-up, though I am close. Still can't do more than a few DUs in a row or any HSPUs either. But I think having these tools in my arsenal makes me a better competitor.

When one considers the adversity we place ourselves in every day we perform a WOD or work on our strength, we compete with ourselves and endure conditions which may or may not be similar to having to do DUs in the grass, or other possible impairments to our performance. So, we just buck up and do it! Things will obviously improve as time passes and those who work hard to bring these events together gain a better understanding of the additional factors involved in adding the Masters.

I am proud to be a CrossFitter, even if I'm not the baddest one out there. It is a real privilege to be part of the CF community with each and every one of you here - - and the rest who don't post. Let's remember why we are here and just "BRING IT!"

Sorry for the long-winded post, but my $0.02 worth, at any rate.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #44
Jeff Kilinski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Brother, you're taking that waaay too personally. In various places this first Master's competition has been referred to as an exhibition competition and an experiment. In no way does that diminish the accomplishments of the athletes who have and will participate.

FWIW I'm 50 and would NOT be competitive, so any and all who did are by definition more BA than I.

--bingo
Point taken. I'm just think it's cool we can all compete on a more or less even footing (notwithstanding event schedules, venues etc). I've done a lot of local 5k's, 10k's and longer races back in the day without ever expecting to be competitive but it's just a kick to be there. I even like some of the local events such as Murph for Miller this weekend 'cause I like going up against the young guns.

I fully expect the Masters Division to grow next year and look forward to being involved.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #45
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
Did the guys come out and get a great workout? Do I hear any of the competetors complaining that they have been cheated? Crossfit is a means to an end. That end is getting in the best possible shape, and to be prepared for whatever gets thrown your way. If it's raining, do the WOD. If it's a poor surface, do the WOD. If you don't like the width between the paralettes, guess what, do the WOD. Do you have any idea how much time, effort and plannng goes into a competition? I'm sure everyone involved wanted to have as smooth a program as possible. Whining and *****ing about it just makes you look like a whiner and a b****. Point taken, it wasn't as smooth as you'd like. Move on.
If CF wants the exercise competitions to be considered a sport, then there cannot be issues like the ones the OP is complaining about. If it's an exercise program then you are right. Conditions have to be standardized and fair to all competitors, like they are in a weightlifting competition, track meet etc.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #46
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I think both sides in this discussion have valid points. I believe these issues really turn on an existential question: "What is the purpose of CrossFit?"

On the one hand, CrossFit is clearly evolving into a lucrative sport. According to all accounts, every year the competition gets much tougher, the CrossFit Games become more professional, more sponsors pay more to be associated with the games, and now there is a substantial cash reward for high performance.

The internet broadcast of the Southwest Regionals was outstanding. It is clearly an audition for a network to televise the Games. Once that happens, public awareness and viewership will explode and corporate sponsors will clamor to be associated with these events. I can someday envision a competitive season of touring competitions in different cities, all televised, complete with teams, sponsors, professional referrees and highly paid superstars. Someday, athletes like Chris Spealler and Jason Khalipa will be on Wheaties boxes and television commercials for Nike. The whole world will be discussing "Fran" times.

Hey, don't laugh. there was a time when the NFL and NBA were pretty amateurish compared to today. Sports evolve, and in the internet age, they can evolve much faster.

All these things are wonderful developments for CrossFit. In order for them to happen, the highly trained athletes that put so much work into practicing for the competitions and have so much at stake must be assured a level playing field. I can totally understand an athletes' frustration if he is required to compete in an environment in which his competitor has a huge advantage.

On the other hand, the "practical fitness" ethos of CrossFit demands that the athlete accept the conditions as he finds them. If the deadlift has to be done on an uneven parking lot, so be it. If you are a big guy and the workout involves pullups, suck it up. If you are a little guy and the workout is a "max clean and jerk" test, there is no whining. Just do your best. This is strongly woven within the whole "counterculture" ethos of CrossFit as the anti-sport. It is specifically designed to challenge athletes of all body shapes, both genders, and any age. If you show up and the test is to move a stove accross the field, you have to try to do it regardless of whether that is "fair".

Perhaps the solution would be to recognize that both approaches are legitimate. Someday the elite athletes of this sport can compete at the highest levels on rigorously standardized tests of fitness for big money in front of a nationwide audience. And more ordinary CrossFitters can compete at exhibitions that celebrate the diversity of our group in an atmosphere of mutual support, without a very competitive edge.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #47
Jeff Kilinski

Profile:

Ben,

You're exactly right. I remember doing triathlons when that sport was just taking hold.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #48
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Ben and Jeff, a really good analogy is actually GOLF! We play the same game with essentially the same equipment, but most of us play it at a markedly lower level of achievement on much less manicured grounds.

Nice contribution. Thanks.

--bingo
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #49
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

Outstanding post! Thanks!