CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Adam Dunn

Profile:
Shipping Costs

So someone can tell me if I'm crazy but...

I've noticed that most vendors commonly recommended on here (rogue, garage gym, again faster, wright, Christian's etc.) have set shipping costs for each item. Say a bar costs $200, shipping for that bar is $20 bucks, and it doesn't matter what else you group together with it. Say you buy a plyo box that costs $100 with $10 shipping. All that together is $330; i.e. you get no discount for buying the two items together.

One vendor doesn't do it this way. Muscle Driver USA shipping charges only go up slightly when you add more items. So if you buy that bar and plyo together, the total shipping cost may only be $22 or $25 or whatever.

Has anyone else noticed this/gotten better deals by contacting vendors directly? Seems to me that I'm going to buy 4-5 items from Muscle Driver and save compared to getting 1s and 2s from several other vendors separately.

For some real numbers I'm buying an AbMat, 100lb sandbag set, 20" plyo steel box, some lifting straps, and a stud bar and with all that combined, the shipping comes out to only $24 dollars with FedEx Ground. If purchased separately the shipping would significantly exceed that.

Good deal...right? Anyone from Rogue, Garage Gym, other vendors, etc. feel free to comment if I'm misreading your shipping policies.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Shipping Costs

I can't speak about the others, but I know if you contact Rogue and are buying multiple items they can ship together and give you a competitive shipping price. Nearly everything is in one warehouse so it ships together. They also have packages that ship on one pallett for an extremely low shipping price. Many of the larger items have shipping included.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

I can only speak for Christian's Fitness Factory, but we have calculated in most cases to the penny what it costs to ship an item. Many people think if you are adding items to an order the shipping gets cheaper and this is not the case. Case in point is kettlebells. Each kettlebell has to be shipped in a seperate box to protect from damage. We don't get a break to ship UPS ground until we go over 200 lbs. and 250 lbs if it is going residential. In addition if you order a 70 lb kettlebell you incur a "heavy package" surcharge. If you order enough stuff to ship freight sometimes its cheaper, but then you have to factor in that they are going to drop it at the curb and you are responsible to get it off the truck and you will have to pay additional to have a lift gate on the truck. I can tell you right now, that we do not make money on shipping. Period. In fact in many cases we eat shipping costs. I can tell you right now that what you are buying costs MuscleDriver more then 24 dollars to ship to you. Depending on where you live compared to their location the plyo alone probably cost more then that. So how do they do it? Probably build shipping costs into the cost of the item. They also might be getting better volume rates then some of the smaller dealers. Either way you are paying the shipping. We have just chosen to be up front and show you actual shipping costs and actual product costs.

I hope that makes some sense. Oh and if you call we are more then happy to check if we can get a better rate for you.

Noah
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Michael Whities

Profile:

If you can, have whomever send it to your office/work (aka.. business address). I've had cheaper rates (30-40 dollars less) than it being shipped to my house. This is where a pallett comes in handy. Just stinks loading it all into the truck.

Michael
Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Ahmik is right, though I think you have to buy a pretty substantial (not sure how that is determined) from Rogue to get steep discounts on shipping. Rogue didn't charge me the shipping costs that tallied up on their websites checkout, but I purchased a whole lot in one order.

You may want to save for a while and then buy several pieces. Piecemeal shipping sucks for vendor and customer.