CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Doctors orders, low sodium diet for Brad.

Upsetting at first, the "don't eat" list that is. However, the change was much easier than I though. Basically all bagged, boxed, or otherwise processed food is off limits. There are very few lunch joints I can eat at. This forces me to pack a lunch or stop by the local grocery store for some fresh food. No coffee allowed either, most dairy products basically out. My diet now consists of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds (unsalted), fish and birds, and a few slices of flourless bread now and then.

In the past, I've followed the Crossfit dietary guidelines (which are pretty darn good regarding sodium) around 75% of the time, with plenty of weekend/lunch-time cheating the rest of the time. Now, it's 100% discipline.

I’ve been doing this for a few weeks now. Feel better than ever!!!

For those like me, who feel the need to "cheat" 20-30% of the time, I can humbly suggest backing the cheating down to 10-15%, and I bet you'll notice some nice changes.

Brad

ps. the low sodium gig is only for folks who have a medical need to do so, and I don’t mean to imply it’s the way to go. Most folks can, and do handle grams and grams of salt, with little or no problems at all. Rather, I’m just implying that a little extra discipline in the diet, goes a long way.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Hey Brad,

[Sipping from my third cup of the day] How has cutting back on coffee affected your performance?

Ross
Old 08-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Man... it was tough at first. Real tough!
In a nut shell, I found that I was weaker. Don't know how much of that was psychological vs. physical... but after a few weeks, strength is getting back to normal.

Brad
Old 08-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Thanks, keep us posted. I usually workout in the morning, sans coffee, because I don't want to be dependant on the stuff but don't want to give it up either.

Ross
Old 08-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Brad, I was just wondering, are your instructions to simply keep sodium to a minimum, or are you supposed to count sodium? If you count it, are you supposed to allow yourself extra when you are sweating a lot? Just curious, I notice some funky things happen to bodybuilders when they mess with their sodium pre-contest. (Of course they mess with a *lot* of other things so it would be hard to say what the sodium does.)
Old 08-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Brian,

Would you mind defining what you mean by "funky"? :-)

-Jay
Old 08-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Brad,
What do you to for meat/protein source. I suppose deli meat is out, and canned fish is high in sodium.
Jeff
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Haha, Jay, some pretty nasty stuff. Swelling up like balloons when they start drinking water again, dizzy / fainting spells (maybe due to low blood pressure), headaches, stomachaches, and general weakness and misery. From a distance, they're the picture of health, up close, they are convalescents in speedos.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Ah, that's beautiful. I have a friend who competes; he jokes that a 5 year old girl could come on stage and kick all of the competitors asses without much effort.

-Jay
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #10
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Brian,
That is a good point, thank you for bringing it up. I'll ask the nutritionist. It would make sense to have a bit more given that Crossfit folks sweat like crazy. Right now I'm staying below 2500mg/day.

Jeff,

No more deli meat or canned fish. I'm also supposed to avoid red meat. I eat a lot of fish and chicken now a days, egg whites, and a ton of nuts and seeds.

Intersesting that the dietary guidelines for kidney folks include lots of Omega-3's. Some studies have shown that they help reduce inflammation and progression. Not sure if it's the Omega-3's alone, or beause they help to bring the Omega-6 / Omega-3 ratio to a healthier level.

Long live fish and flax oil.

One wonders what other disease conditions are exacerbated (or caused?), by low levels of omega-3's in the diet.

Brad