CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Maris Goldsborough
Member Maris Goldsborough is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vacaville  CA
Posts: 2
Paleo Question

Itís my third day on the Paleo diet. I know they are not the proffered source, but in a pinch are canned vegetables and fruits okay for Paleo?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Paleo Question

Well if they're canned they're going to lose some nutrients and flavor and no, it's not the preferred way. The big thing you should watch out for is additives.

Most canned fruit has extra sugar. Usually what I do is empty the can and wash the fruit with water which will get rid of a lot of the syrup. A lot of canned veggies have added salt but as far as I know there's no way to remove that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Kevin Steel
Affiliate Kevin Steel is offline
 
Kevin Steel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spokane  Wa
Posts: 141
Re: Paleo Question

frozen is MUCH better than canned.
__________________
www.crossfit509.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Stephen Lewis Romer
Departed Stephen Lewis Romer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 109
Re: Paleo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Well if they're canned they're going to lose some nutrients and flavor and no, it's not the preferred way. The big thing you should watch out for is additives.

Most canned fruit has extra sugar. Usually what I do is empty the can and wash the fruit with water which will get rid of a lot of the syrup. A lot of canned veggies have added salt but as far as I know there's no way to remove that.
Drain the water then put them in a large bowl. Then fill the bowl with fresh water and let soak for 15 mins. After soaking drain the water. The fresh water soak will leach some of the salt out of the vegs, but frozen is much better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia
Member Arturo Garcia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santo Domingo  Dominican Republic
Posts: 1,873
Re: Paleo Question

Frozen is much better huh? gonna switch to frozen spinach then, was buying canned. About one of only two or three products I eat canned though (sardines, pink salmon, anchovies).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Heather Archambeault
Member Heather Archambeault is offline
 
Heather Archambeault's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington  WA
Posts: 182
Re: Paleo Question

In some ways, frozen can be better than from the grocery store fresh. If you think about it, the veggies get picked, packed, loaded onto a truck, driven to (wherever), then to the store, until you buy them...unless you get the veggies from a farmers market, where tehy are fresher.
Flash frozen veggies tend to still have more of the nutrients than veggies that have been at a grocery store.
I would definitely go frozen, before canned. I never buy canned veggies or fruit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Paleo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Archambeault View Post
I would definitely go frozen, before canned. I never buy canned veggies or fruit.
Two exceptions:

Tomatoes -- because they don't freeze well and if they're not in season locally the fresh ones are either ridiculously expensive or ridiculously tasteless (or both).

Pineapple -- because fresh doesn't keep well enough for the small quantity I use at once.

Read labels, though. No salt in the tomatoes, nor sugar in the pineapple.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Tony Vienneau
Member Tony Vienneau is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hanwell  NB Canada
Posts: 43
Re: Paleo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Archambeault View Post
In some ways, frozen can be better than from the grocery store fresh. If you think about it, the veggies get picked, packed, loaded onto a truck, driven to (wherever), then to the store, until you buy them...unless you get the veggies from a farmers market, where tehy are fresher.
Flash frozen veggies tend to still have more of the nutrients than veggies that have been at a grocery store.
I would definitely go frozen, before canned. I never buy canned veggies or fruit.
ditto!
__________________
Addicted to CF since February 2009....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Paleo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Frozen is much better huh? gonna switch to frozen spinach then, was buying canned. About one of only two or three products I eat canned though (sardines, pink salmon, anchovies).
Why not buy fresh? Depending on how much you eat per week, fresh spinach will hold for about four to five days in the fridge. I go through a large bag daily.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #10
Heather Archambeault
Member Heather Archambeault is offline
 
Heather Archambeault's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington  WA
Posts: 182
Re: Paleo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Two exceptions:

Tomatoes -- because they don't freeze well and if they're not in season locally the fresh ones are either ridiculously expensive or ridiculously tasteless (or both).

Pineapple -- because fresh doesn't keep well enough for the small quantity I use at once.

Read labels, though. No salt in the tomatoes, nor sugar in the pineapple.

Katherine
very true, thank you Katherine =-)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paleo/IF question Isaac P Armstrong Nutrition 3 10-12-2008 02:05 PM
Paleo Question Kristina McLinden Nutrition 1 06-19-2008 07:23 PM
Question regarding the Paleo Diet Michael Hu Nutrition 22 05-01-2008 09:33 AM
Paleo Diet Question David Stout Nutrition 4 05-01-2007 08:40 PM
Paleo Question Jim Lockhart Nutrition 6 10-16-2003 03:36 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.