CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Don Smith

Profile:
Substitute for wall ball

My gym does not have a medicine ball heavy enough to do wall ball with, I was wondeing what the substitute for this would be? Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Substitute for wall ball

From the FAQ
"3.4. Substitute for wall-ball throws?
The "standard" substitute for Wall Ball is either dumbbell or barbell thrusters. Since you can't (or shouldn't, anyway) actually throw the dumbells in the air, use about twice the specified ball weight (40 lbs or so instead of 20) and do them as explosively as possible . . . but it's still quite different.
Better to follow David Heyer's directions for a homemade medicine ball:

take an old, or cheap, basketball
cut a slit in it
stuff with sand
sew or glue the slit closed (optional), and then tape up with heavy tape (Americans call it duct tape)
This gives you a perfectly functional 18-22 pound ball (9 or 10 kg) for under $4. "

I think DB burpees is a better sub because they are more explosive (at least the first few reps are). If they have medicine balls at your gym, I'd just use the heaviest one they have and try to throw it as high as possible.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Read the FAQ.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

You can do kb wall ball subs. swing the bell, flip it catch it in a goblet squat throw it and catch it by the handle. Repeat. 50 times. enjoy.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Eddie Watts

Profile:

just use the heaviest one available, the thrusters as mentioned at double weight are significantly harder for high rep stuff.
that said next time karen comes up i'll be going for thrusters because i've got my 6.5kg medball to very low so i want the added challenge of 150 thrusters for time
Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

The combination of wall ball and pull ups sometimes aggravate my elbow so I substitute Kettlebell Swing High Throw with a 44# Kettlebell. Takes some practice
Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
You can do kb wall ball subs. swing the bell, flip it catch it in a goblet squat throw it and catch it by the handle. Repeat. 50 times. enjoy.
This sucked 105X
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
From the FAQ
take an old, or cheap, basketball
cut a slit in it
stuff with sand
sew or glue the slit closed (optional), and then tape up with heavy tape (Americans call it duct tape)
This gives you a perfectly functional 18-22 pound ball (9 or 10 kg) for under $4. "
I made one of these the other day. I found the basketball at the Salvation Army for $1.99. The only problem is that it takes less than the volume of the basketball worth of sand to reach 20#, and then it doesn't bounce the way the $100-medicine balls do. The solution? Fill the rest of it up with Great Stuff, that foam insulation in a can. It weighs nothing and makes a bouncy surface once it dries. Ideally, I'd like a corona of Great Stuff around a core of sand in my homemade medicine ball so the entire thing is bouncy, rather than just the side with the incision. Right now it's sort of eccentric...like its mommy...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie M. Lower View Post
I made one of these the other day. I found the basketball at the Salvation Army for $1.99. The only problem is that it takes less than the volume of the basketball worth of sand to reach 20#, and then it doesn't bounce the way the $100-medicine balls do. The solution? Fill the rest of it up with Great Stuff, that foam insulation in a can. It weighs nothing and makes a bouncy surface once it dries. Ideally, I'd like a corona of Great Stuff around a core of sand in my homemade medicine ball so the entire thing is bouncy, rather than just the side with the incision. Right now it's sort of eccentric...like its mommy...
What happens if you roll it continuously while the Great Stuff dries? The idea being to create a uniform sand + Great Stuff mix that's equally bouncy in all directions?

Alternatively, you could line the inside surface of the basketball with Great Stuff, let it dry, fill the core with sand, then seal the opening with more Great Stuff. Not as uniform as continuous rolling, but less of a pain in the neck.

Katherine
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

I do goblet thrusters with a DB with twice the weight...sometimes even a 45lb. You can do this with KB's too. It's the closest approximation to the wall-ball move....it's actually the same work out depending on the weight you use....the power output can actually be higher because the cycle time is faster....I.E. you don't have to wait for the wall-ball to come back down to start the next rep. I did Karen this way once....it almost killed me. When I do wall-balls, they're hard....but I think the goblet thrusters are actually harder if you do them at max intensity.....just not as skilled of a movement.