CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Allan Talusan

Profile:
After watching the Weekend Warrior vid and seeing the ring handstand pushups, I wanted immediately to try it out. Mind you that I am fretful at best at handstands but I wanted to see if there was a progression for doing these. Do I start my handstand with arms extended or bent? When I flip up my legs, doe sthe weight of my downward force (gravity) enable the rings to be taut enough to support as I hook around the webbing? I'm asking because I train primarily by myself and have no spotter to make sure I don't crack my noggin. I can comfortably do ring dips, pushups and pullups even though the muscleup is eluding me.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Beginner ring handstands are tough, it is easy to fall onto your back and hit something.

My solution was to hang the rings from my doorway pullup bar. With the rings hanging near the floor, I'd place one foot on the doorknob and raise the other one up to the pullup bar/doorjamb for balancing myself. It was a shaky situation, but it was safer than just kicking up into a handstand and hoping for the best.

You could mimic this setup with a Smith machine, squat cage, or other apparatus that allows the rings to hang from a bar to the floor.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Learn a forward roll to hang on rings 1st. Start in a support lift your butt over your head, then bend your arms and roll out forward. You want to be comfortable with this before trying shoulderstands or handstands.

Do not think about getting to handstands as lifting your legs. It's all about lifting your hips. You will lift your butt, then straddle, then bring your legs to the cables/straps. There's more info on this in the "Got Rings" article.

Ideally the press to handstand will be with straight arms. Keep in mind you will need a very good press handstand to do it straight arm on rings.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
To go along with what Roger said, first work on the forward roll which will be your method of bailing if you start to fall out of a handstand. Next, work to a shoulder stand. After that, work handstands with your feet on the cables by getting your butt up. Then work press to handstand holds without your feet. Then start working your handstand pushups.

It's basically like learning a handstand and handstand pushups all over again except on rings instead of the floor. And, I might add, it is much harder.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
John McCracken

Profile:
Here's a helpful article about Still Rings Handstand Development: http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...tillrings.html
Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
So I think I am pretty good at rolling my hips up first, and then I can bring my legs up, but when I do that my legs come up to fast and I wind up banging the ropes and bouncing around a bit. That's problem #1.

Second problem is that once I do stop bouncing and I'm in a should stand, I feel like I don't have the power to press into the handstand...this to me is counter-intuitive since I can do HSPU against a wall, and have basically done a freestanding one on the ground...limiting factor is balance not strength.

Does it simply require more strength to get out of the bottom on the rings? Or is it more of a balance thing? Also how do you work on not flipping your legs up...practice?

Aush
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Aush, if I understand you correctly, you have the strength to do a head to floor HSPU (with wall and without) but can't push out from a shoulderstand on the rings. Yes?

My gut feel is you need to increase the depth of your HSPU's, using books, stools or parallettes until you have your hands near your shoulders as required on the rings.

If your balance is sufficient, then this should yield the strength you are missing.

Cheers, kempie
Old 09-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Aww, that ROM stuff again...I don't think my balance is sufficient because I can't get my legs off the ropes yet, but I feel like I should be able to press with legs on the ropes...

But what you say makes sense.

I can't figure out how to get into a handstand on the parallettes, well I can get up there, the problem is if I kick up too hard and I start to fall towards my back, I can't figure out how to get off the parallettes, I usually wind up throwing a hand off the parallettes to the floor, but that kind of scares me. For parallettes do you have to press up as well? Guess I could just do it against the wall on p-lets for now.

Aush
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Aush,

Get your handstand forward roll comfortable, and learn how to piroette out of a handstand. These two skills are essential to working handstands safely.

A stable handstand on rings just takes a lot of time on the rings. Remember to keep the rings turned out. Then you've got a stronger base to work with. Rings turned in is like doing a handstand on a moving bar.