CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Dean Coon

Profile:
Rogue SPX Squat/Press Stand

Has anybody gotten a hold of the new Rogue SPX Squat/Press stands? They look sturdy and well built, but I'm a little concerned with stability when racked with weight, since they look to be about 6' tall and don't have any bracing for the vertical support. Anybody have any issues?

Not trying to knock any Rogue stuff...I know they have great gear and I've ordered some bumpers/bars/med. balls/etc. just last week, (can't wait to get my stuff!) but wanted to get some input on the stability issue.

Thx.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Rogue SPX Squat/Press Stand

I am glad you brought this up I had been meaning to talk about these stands. I am very proud of the design that Bill and I came up with.

I am assuming that what you are worried about is the stands tipping over when you walk back in with a heavy squat because the stands are not part of a cage.

You would be surprised at how sturdy squat stands can be with relatively small bases. I have had people rack 600 lb. squats on Promaxima stands without any problems. The Rogue Stands have a bigger footprint than the Promaxima and will not tip over when loaded unless you have people actively trying to pull them down.

If you are referring to the bracing of the vertical portion of the stands with base of the stands, we have made that as strong or stronger than anything else on the market.

We made them of heavier gauge steel than anything else out there and I worked together with Bill Henniger to address all the problems that we have had with the other squat stands we have used.

The thing that I am most proud of is that we made them without any threads or springs that could wear out. There are no real moving parts.

To adjust the height you take the whole J cup off put the pin in the hole on the front and rotate it into place. No matter how well you make threads or springs eventually they wear out, especially if you use them in a gym. Some one will tighten them too much or cross thread them. Our method of adjustment avoids potential problems like people tightening down bolts that are not in the holes leading to the rack falling unexpectedly or the bolt getting destroyed while you are trying to remove it.

They go low enough to bench and high enough to squat without any telescoping parts that can get stuck. If you have a telescoping part it can also fall and catch someone’s finger.

These are very simple, but made in the U.S.A out of superior materials. They will last virtually forever.

We will also be adding the option of plastic coated J-cups for those of you who like to protect the knurling on their bars.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
James lee

Profile:

good to know because i'm ordering 3 of them!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

How many inches between settings?
How high and how low can you set the j hooks?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

The SPX is rock solid. We tested it out by slamming 375 into it with zero stability concerns. The j-cups very easily go from squat to bench height and everything in between (the holes are roughly 2.5" apart). Incredibly well-made, well-designed piece of equipment, with a rugged look. Highly recommended.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Bill Houghton

Profile:

I checked the Rogue web page to check price and shipping info and nothing came up for Rogue SPX Squat/Press stands.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
I checked the Rogue web page to check price and shipping info and nothing came up for Rogue SPX Squat/Press stands.
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/SPX_system.php
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Dean Coon

Profile:

Ahmik:
Thanks for the info on stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
I am assuming that what you are worried about is the stands tipping over when you walk back in with a heavy squat because the stands are not part of a cage.
That was one concern and the other was having a 6' vertical support without and bracing coming off the back of it down to the base. Also the lack of cross-bracing from one side to the other or across the top made it look like they might give a little from side to side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
You would be surprised at how sturdy squat stands can be with relatively small bases. I have had people rack 600 lb. squats on Promaxima stands without any problems. The Rogue Stands have a bigger footprint than the Promaxima and will not tip over when loaded unless you have people actively trying to pull them down.
What is the footprint on the SPX? It looks to be about 36" deep and 48" wide?

The attachement method for the j-cups looks sweet and I've seen them used before on other squat rack set-ups. It looks like a bomber design. Just wanted to see what other affiliates experiences with them have been.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Rogue SPX Specs:

LXWXH: 34" X 48" X 74"

Distance to 1st Adjustment Hole: 24"

Distance Between Holes: 2.5"

J Cup Thickness: 3/8"

We have had zero issues with stability, the base is made with heavy gauge steel. The connection in the back has two 1/4" plates that span the bolt holes. Check out the cup thickness, this system is made for abuse.

Let me know if there are any other specs that you need called out.

Bill
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Michael Whities

Profile:

EDIT: Please disregard. I just found out I can get a cage (Weider 650(or something)) locally. I've seen it and it's huge. Still need bar an bumpers though.

Last edited by Michael Whities : 03-30-2009 at 09:57 AM.