CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
Marcial Lafuente

Profile:
Re: question on squatting on toes and heels

I donīt think squatting with the heels elevated is such a bad idea for beginners with flexibility problems.
In the meantime, you work on ankle and hamstrings flexibility and, in a very short time, you will not need to do it.
I learned squatting that way and it didnīt take me more than a few weeks to gain the necesarry flexibility not to need to elevate my heels.

Regarding the issue of knees passing the toes, I think it will always happen in a ATG front squat or OHS. And weightlifters do it all the time.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcial Lafuente View Post
I donīt think squatting with the heels elevated is such a bad idea for beginners with flexibility problems.
Squatting deep while on the toes isn't the same as squatting deep. As I said before, if a beginner doesn't have the flexibility they they should squat properly and let proper depth come in time.

Quote:
Regarding the issue of knees passing the toes, I think it will always happen in a ATG front squat or OHS. And weightlifters do it all the time.
There is a massive difference between the position and forces placed on the knee between the kind of squat that an o-lifter does and a bastardized version of a squat up on the toes. Simple experiment: Squat all the way down while on your toes, note the position of your toes. While still in the bottom, rotate back onto your heels, again note the position of your toes. See a difference? Also, go back and forth a few more times and tell me that you don't feel a difference in the strain placed on the knee.

- Alex
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #23
Marcial Lafuente

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Squatting deep while on the toes isn't the same as squatting deep. As I said before, if a beginner doesn't have the flexibility they they should squat properly and let proper depth come in time.
Squatting with the heels on a couple discs or in a 1" piece of wood is not exactly tiptoeing or squatting on the toes.
Iīm just saying that it is helpful for beginners with flexibility problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
There is a massive difference between the position and forces placed on the knee between the kind of squat that an o-lifter does and a bastardized version of a squat up on the toes. Simple experiment: Squat all the way down while on your toes, note the position of your toes. While still in the bottom, rotate back onto your heels, again note the position of your toes. See a difference? Also, go back and forth a few more times and tell me that you don't feel a difference in the strain placed on the knee.

- Alex
All I was saying is that in some kind of squats, knees will travel forward than the toes. And nothing happens to the knees.
If you do a power squat, low bar, this is less likely unless you lean forward too much. Or you have very short feet.
In fact, I think that originally not passing the toes with your knees was just a cue to show you how to reach the proper position in a squat as described above. That is, powerlifter depth, low bar.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #24
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Squatting with the heels on a couple discs or in a 1" piece of wood is not exactly tiptoeing or squatting on the toes.
Iīm just saying that it is helpful for beginners with flexibility problems.
Right, squatting on discs or a block is okay if you don't have lifting shoes and you refuse to spend the $50. Squatting on the toes is not. If a beginner doesn't have the flexibility to properly squat deeply, then squatting on the toes IS NOT a proper substitute.

Quote:
All I was saying is that in some kind of squats, knees will travel forward than the toes. And nothing happens to the knees.
If you do a power squat, low bar, this is less likely unless you lean forward too much. Or you have very short feet.
In fact, I think that originally not passing the toes with your knees was just a cue to show you how to reach the proper position in a squat as described above. That is, powerlifter depth, low bar.
Yes, but if you do what I described earlier, then you can see a VERY big difference between the position of the knees in an upright squat and in a squat done up on the toes. Not to mention, that driving off of the toes puts the pressure completely on the anterior portion of the knee. Conversely, driving off the heels distributes the pressure around the entire knee. If you can't feel the difference between the two, then I don't know what else there is to say.

I'm done with this thread because I'm tired of rehashing the same points over and over.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 02-23-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Talking Re: question on squatting on toes and heels

Thanks for everybodies help! I've learned alot through this thread.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Squatting on the forefoot is what's used in the hindu squat and sissy squat. Both, imo, would require a good regular squat and healthy, flexible knees. I used to do a variation where I would start with the BB while on forefoot, like a heel raise, squat and then go back up or go from heel to toe on the ascent like a heel raise or jump.

Then again, we don't nor do we really need to do either in CF.