CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Stephen Searcy

Profile:
Triathlon (sprint) training??

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations for training for a sprint triathlon? I plan to stick to doing the regular wods, but I'm looking to incorporate more swim, bike, and run training as well. Interval's seem to be the best bet (just bought a gymboss) but they're new to me as far as how to structure the timing and how many days a week to work the particular areas.

Swimming will be my weakest link I have been and plan to be in the water at least 3 days a week. Luckily I have an experienced friend helping with form and pushing me. I'm also reading Total Immersion to pick up extra help.

I feel like the bike part might be the beat area for me to shave time. Again and interval training for the bike or other ideas will be appreciated. I'll be making due on a bike by using a hybrid. I'd love to rent a road bike but not sure if anywhere does that.

I am a month out from the day of the event so I want to use the next 30 days wisely. It will be a 400m swim, 13.5 mile bike and a 5k. I did a big brick today inside (rain day) at the gym and was happy with the results 40 mins on spin bike to get 14.5 miles and a 5k in 21:35.

Any and all advice and help will be appreciated. I'm not just looking to finish but to do well. I'd love to get through it in under 75 to 80 minutes. We'll see!

Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Triathlon (sprint) training??

(wfs) www.crossfitendurance.com
Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Stephen Searcy

Profile:

and now it all makes sense.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Seems as if you're on the right track to be ble to complete the sprint and do 'pretty well' for time. You can probably just do the WOD combined with some pool time and see improvements in the S/B/R.

One thing: Total Immersion is a great system. If I were you, I'd do exactly what Coach Laughlin says and do LOTS of drill work in the TI format.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Searcy View Post
and now it all makes sense.
Well if you want to be spoonfed, I guess I would say go to that website, go through a month's worth of workouts, learn from the protocol, incorporate your weak areas per their methodology (which is found on the left side of the page) and notice improvement.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but I do think people aught to do some self-study.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Stephen Searcy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Well if you want to be spoonfed, I guess I would say go to that website, go through a month's worth of workouts, learn from the protocol, incorporate your weak areas per their methodology (which is found on the left side of the page) and notice improvement.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but I do think people aught to do some self-study.
no worries and you misread me a little. I meant that everything I was looking for all makes sense, now that you provided that link. I was unaware of CFE and this was what I was looking for and needed. Thanks!