CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
F

Profile:

Here's the deal...I'm brutally weak and terrible at handstands...let alone handstand pushups. I'm thinking about rigging up a "stunt-wire" type thing to help me.

What is this strange contraption? A climbing harness, 2 ropes attached to it (1 at each hip). This will allow me to hook up and invert myself (near a wall of course). The ropes will be a little too long, so that when I'm inverted I'll have to press up to a full handstand. A buddy suggested using bungee type material so that at the bottom of the HSPU I get help, but as I press out the HSPU the bungee helps less and less.

Does this sound like it might help me develop the strength to do unassisted HSPUs?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm not an expert, but no one else is jumping in. It seems like there are four stages:

1) Doing handstand hold
2) Doing small pushups
3) Doing full pushups
4) Doing unsupported full pushups.

I think each builds on the previous. If you can do a hold at all, practice that, and over time work in small pushups, and gradually increase the amplitude (do against a wall, of course.).

If you can't do hold, do standing barbell overhead presses to build your strength, until you can do a hold. That seems simpler than a contraption.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
F. . .When I was a young guy, I joined my highschool gymnastics team. six feet tall and about 185 was not the best size for a gymnast. I worked handstands every day, ususally against the closet door and started with quarter HSPU. I usually finshed with some negatives. Also work presses to handstands and headstand press to handstand. Any oppurtunity you have you should be kicking up ro a free handstands, point your toes tight back, hollow stomach, compete against yourself for time holding the handstand. Personally I never liked spotting belts, I felt they inhibited movement. I was in highschool in the 70s at the time we did not have spotting pits filled with foam, so my dislike of stopping belts often had me slamming into the mats, face, knees, and hands first.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
F

Profile:

I'm 6'4" 220...I'll start working them in everyday (GTG baby!) and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I recommend against the contraption. You can get to the point of being stable on a wall without any wires/ropes. Start with just getting on your hands a bit with small handstands. Then when you get comfortable walk up the wall backwards to a handstand (start in a four legged stance feet towards the wall then put your feet on the wall and walk your hands in until you are in a handstand facing the wall). (Learn to roll out a bit before doing this). Once you are there you can start working on the HSPUs.