CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #21
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Arden Cogar on TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
George,
It's called the springboard. And thanks so much for your kind comments.

The great thing about lumberjack sports is that it's for all ages and all those of interest. My 73 year old father still competes very well. We have different divisions of competition and some events are handicapped (with the better competitors giving less experienced competitors up to 30 to 40 second head starts). Some of the best in the sport didn't start until they were in the late 30s early 40s.

The only prohibition is the cost of equipment and obviously the cost of travel to events. Axes cost $400 and crosscut saws cost over $1200. You can get training gear much cheaper than that, but, to compete, you need top notch equipment and have some ability to work on it and repair it if the need arises. I'm rather lucky in that I grew up with the sport and my father already had most of the equipment and stands to train on. I've since replaced almost all the axes and saws, etc. But I have issues with lumberjack equipment similar to the issues I have with the equipment for my home gym. In less words, you can never have enough....right?

All the best,
Arden
Interesting, I am definitely in need of a sport, but I'm not sure how much the neighbors would like me practicing .
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Interesting, I am definitely in need of a sport, but I'm not sure how much the neighbors would like me practicing .

I lived in the city at one time and had a small back yard. I couldn't run my chainsaws back there, but I did have an audience when I chopped and sawed. At first, it struck up cool conversations; but you can imagine what happened after that. They pretty much thought I was nuts. But for anyone who actually witnesses someone do some of the xfit workouts, they would appreciate the nutsness.

One of the best axemen in the world, Pat Hooper, lived in urban Brisbane, Queensland. He didn't chop many logs, but he did set up tires and struck them with sledges weighing the same as our axes (6 to 7 pounds) with great frequency.

I get ya though. I'm glad I live in the country.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Arden,

Those Kiwis are some tough competitors.

Tell your wife you need some new tools to keep up with them. As you say, when in doubt, buy more equipment.

Well done.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #24
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Arden,

Those Kiwis are some tough competitors.

Tell your wife you need some new tools to keep up with them. As you say, when in doubt, buy more equipment.

Well done.

thank you so much. And yes, those three are really tough competitors. Actually all the athletes in that final are very very good.

I can always use that excuse to get some new tools. :-D Ya gotta have more tools. It's the manly way.

I hope to improve upon last year and be mindful to improve my weaknesses. I've got a whole list of things to work on right now. It won't be easy, but I'm game for it.

Thanks so much.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
Gary Maholm

Profile:

I'm so glad that i found this thread. When i first joined this forum I remember seeing a post by you, Arden, and thinking..."man that name sounds familiar..."

I pondered it a second and moved along without noticing your avatar. Its kind of small on my screen cause i crank up the res.

So then i was driving home thinking about how i was going to build my platform after perusing a couple threads; one being yours i believe about a 12' platform with cage. It hit me. Is that the guy i used to watch in the lumber jack stuff years ago? Then i found this thread.

I used to watch a long time ago when you and your dad were competing in the same event. I would catch the timber sports occasionally on espn and just thought it was cool as hell. I remember Jason Wynward (sp?) because he seemed to perform well, ALWAYS. And i remember you and your dad because I thought it was awesome that you guys had something competitive to work together on.

I'm 37 and i coulnt tell you when it was but its been quite a while. Seems like i was in my late teens but it could have been a little later. I had a few years of blur in there

I had two events that i loved to watch. The springboard thing. I was always affraid someone would lose grip and an axe would fly out into crowd SERIOUS chopping!

Also, the one where you stand on a log and chop downward between the feet. Always made me nervous. you guys just swing sooooo hard.

Anyway, good to see that you are still competing. I'll be watching for you.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #26
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maholm View Post
I'm so glad that i found this thread. When i first joined this forum I remember seeing a post by you, Arden, and thinking..."man that name sounds familiar..."

I pondered it a second and moved along without noticing your avatar. Its kind of small on my screen cause i crank up the res.

So then i was driving home thinking about how i was going to build my platform after perusing a couple threads; one being yours i believe about a 12' platform with cage. It hit me. Is that the guy i used to watch in the lumber jack stuff years ago? Then i found this thread.

I used to watch a long time ago when you and your dad were competing in the same event. I would catch the timber sports occasionally on espn and just thought it was cool as hell. I remember Jason Wynward (sp?) because he seemed to perform well, ALWAYS. And i remember you and your dad because I thought it was awesome that you guys had something competitive to work together on.

I'm 37 and i coulnt tell you when it was but its been quite a while. Seems like i was in my late teens but it could have been a little later. I had a few years of blur in there

I had two events that i loved to watch. The springboard thing. I was always affraid someone would lose grip and an axe would fly out into crowd SERIOUS chopping!

Also, the one where you stand on a log and chop downward between the feet. Always made me nervous. you guys just swing sooooo hard.

Anyway, good to see that you are still competing. I'll be watching for you.

Gary,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Believe it or not, my 73 year old father still competes and gives all the young guys fits. He also competes in Masters (over 55) events and does very very well. You see me, you see him 35 years ago.

In the time frame you're talking about, Jason Wynyard was head and shoulders above the rest of the competition on the STS. Since that time, we have all narrowed the gap. He's still one of the men to beat, but everyone, including myself, has upped their game substantially to meet what he brought to the table.

I'll see if I can find some really cool youtube footage of my father, then attach a recent one of myself. We have the same "energy" and the same build. I'm just a little taller and I work out. He simply worked in the woods and did hard physical labor. Nothing better than hard work to make you fit.

Thanks again.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

here's a video of my father competing against the #1 guy in the world, at the time, Jim Alexander, during 1979 at the Webster County Woodchopping Festival. Jim went about 6'4" about 325. My father was 5'7" about 200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM28unGWyf8

Here's video of me competing against the current #1 person in my sport, David Bolstad, during the 2007 Stihl Timersports Series at Decatur, Alabama. David goes a good 6'5" about 270. I'm 5'11" a biscuit short of 260, but I was probably a biscuit over 265 at the time of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFPCfBjG1c

Thanks again for remembering. I hope to pass the sport on to my daughters someday. My 10 year old competed at her first event last summer. She plans on doing more this summer. Maybe her 7 year old sister will join her.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
Gary Maholm

Profile:

those are great videos. thanks for posting. Cool to see how far the sport has come relative to spectatorship and the "stage".

Man you powered through that last chop.

thanks again