CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Running a competition advice

2 - Try working with another box and borrowing equipment, the community is usually pretty supportive
3 - This is America, profit is good if you provide a decent value, why not? Use it to buy more equipment. ;-) And just be clear about what portion goes to charity. And look at it this way, don't think of it as profit, think of it as a management fee for yourself. You do the work, you deliver a good product for your competitors, you deserve it.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Running a competition advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGuire View Post
I am in the early stages of putting together an outdoor competition in the late spring early summer
I just had a few questions and wanted to get some feedback
1) Is there a software program anyone would recommend for tracking results?
2) Has anyone ever heard of a company that rents equipment? Im just not sure if I would have enough bars and bumpers to go around
3) Is it unethical to make a profit? I know its not, but I have a real heard time getting myself to feel comfortable with that,
The last competition I ran was a million headaches and at the end of the day, I had nothing to show for the trouble and time it took me away from running my facility other then an article in a local paper
I gave 100% of the proceeds to charity
How does this usually work?
thank You
Have you thought about just putting together a more informal "in-house" competition held one day on the weekend? Or maybe a two box informal competition with a friendly local box?

The owner of the box where I coach has run a big competition 3 years in a row. It has been very successful. But it is tremendously time consuming. It stresses the membership because you need so many volunteers. It stresses the coaches because they have to help set up and run it. The box has to close for a couple of days for preparations. You need to buy or get donations for the prizes, work out scoring (usually through an outside service), and plan a detailed schedule for events and heats. While there are a fun few hours, particularly the end watching "finals" heats, the benefit to the box and its members is probably subject to debate. I'm not sure it is really worth it.

On the other hand we have had routine members only competitions, held on a Saturday, where everyone just signs up on a whiteboard and pays $20 that morning. The divisions are simple--Rx Men, Rx Women, Masters Men and Women, and Scaled men and women. The masters men and women compete against each other due to smaller numbers--just with different weights so everything is competitive. Same is true with scaled--men and women go up against each other but with different weights. There is a local organic food guy who comes and serves lunch at a reduced cost because it is good advertising for him (the $20 entry fee, if you can call it that, helps pay for it). Winners get a small amount of cash, divvying up a little of what is not spent on costs. Any extra proceeds can buy new equipment, which seems to always be needed in any box.

These informal events have proven to be a lot of fun, build camaraderie, and result in participation by many athletes who otherwise wouldn't go to an "outside" competition. These events seem to bring real value to the box and don't take too much to plan.