CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: Why No Powerlifting at the Games?

I would like to see a Crossfit Total workout. Only problem there is that you're favoring the "big guys". But that would be cool to see actual totals these guys can put up to compare ourselves with.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
Jason Fischer

Profile:

I'm not sure if there is a way to do it with powerlifting movements (probably), but weightlifting has the Sinclair total which calculates your numbers relative to your bodyweight. Something like that would remove the size variable.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
I would like to see a Crossfit Total workout. Only problem there is that you're favoring the "big guys". But that would be cool to see actual totals these guys can put up to compare ourselves with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
I'm not sure if there is a way to do it with powerlifting movements (probably), but weightlifting has the Sinclair total which calculates your numbers relative to your bodyweight. Something like that would remove the size variable.
That would be a great idea, and, although I agree that it favors the big guys, it's no different than a muscle-up event favoring the little guys. Did you happen to see Foucher vs. Lauren Brooks in 15.3?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #24
Bryan Selent

Profile:

Because it isn't exciting.

I don't know if you've realized it by now, but CrossFit is a business, and like any business, their purpose is to grow and get out to the masses.

Crazy WODs are exciting, the Snatch is exciting, even the triple-3 event had good parts to it. Powerlifting will not get the general population/masses thrilled.
(Before we go any further, I really like and follow powerlifting).

Castro and the gang will test fitness, but also put on a show while doing it. Its why we saw that big-team sled last year.
30 guys lining up to bench press will make some people happy, but plenty of others will change the channel.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Selent View Post
Because it isn't exciting.

I don't know if you've realized it by now, but CrossFit is a business, and like any business, their purpose is to grow and get out to the masses.

Crazy WODs are exciting, the Snatch is exciting, even the triple-3 event had good parts to it. Powerlifting will not get the general population/masses thrilled.
(Before we go any further, I really like and follow powerlifting).

Castro and the gang will test fitness, but also put on a show while doing it. Its why we saw that big-team sled last year.
30 guys lining up to bench press will make some people happy, but plenty of others will change the channel.
But watching someone row for 20,000+ meters is exciting? Watching a huge deadlift or squat is pretty exciting to me, much more so than watching someone sit on a rower or jump rope.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #26
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
But watching someone row for 20,000+ meters is exciting? Watching a huge deadlift or squat is pretty exciting to me, much more so than watching someone sit on a rower or jump rope.
I think if they did the powerlifting like they did the OHS last year it would keep people watching.

Each guy takes a turn, 30-60 seconds between each guy to do your lift. Would keep it moving and give them time to regain some energy.

Cap each one with 3 attempts.

So Press, deadlift and squat would all move fast and see some good numbers.

Would also give rogue a chance to showcase their "powerlifting" bars/gear
Old 03-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #27
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I think if they did the powerlifting like they did the OHS last year it would keep people watching.

Each guy takes a turn, 30-60 seconds between each guy to do your lift. Would keep it moving and give them time to regain some energy.

Cap each one with 3 attempts.

So Press, deadlift and squat would all move fast and see some good numbers.

Would also give rogue a chance to showcase their "powerlifting" bars/gear
I think that would be awesome. The OHS event was by far one of my favorites but I was less intrigued because it was OHS and not something like back squat or deadlift because I think more weight is more fun to watch.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #28
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
Powerlifting uses the Wilks formula, much the same way. BUT i dont see crosdfit doing the whole weight lifted to bodyweight ratio it seems very contradictory to crossfit.

Luke and Shawn are pretty echoing my thoughts.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #29
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
I completely agree. Any argument of "because that's not exciting" goes totally out the window when we consider some of the super-boring events the already are used at the Games.

Maybe the "excitement level" varies depending on the person watching, but, like Luke said, seeing a big bench press or deadlift is much more exciting to me than marathon rowing, or that event in 2013 were the athletes walked/jogged while carrying a log on their shoulders, or the broad-jump event in 2012...
Old 03-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #30
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
I think that would be awesome. The OHS event was by far one of my favorites but I was less intrigued because it was OHS and not something like back squat or deadlift because I think more weight is more fun to watch.
Also agree. Maybe this is just my opinion, but a PL back squat (as long as good form standards are enforced) is much more about pure strength than an OHS - which takes a lot more technique, balance, coaching, etc.

I'm not saying that OHS events are boring, and I'm not saying that they shouldn't be a standard event at the Games. But a PL'ing event would showcase pure strength, rather than strength plus technique and coaching.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why they don't use PL'ing events at the games - because that might de-emphasize the importance of the certified coaches and affiliates?